Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my issue is when I shift,

this c clip pops off. In the picture you can see I replaced it with an e clip in an attempt to solve my problem. It appears that when I shift the clip pops out due to wear on the lip of the clip slot. That causes the lever behind the clutch housing,

to pop into the clutch housing resulting it the bike getting stuck in gear and the shift lever to spin on my knackered shaft (well splines).

So after having this problem bug me for a couple days of tinkering I bought a collar w/ grubber screw. It was slightly to small on the inner diameter so I reamed it out on the lathe.

Here it is perched upon my rather dirty and equally useless most of the time service manual.

Dry run

Here is the collar in its final location tightened down.

Now my huge question is, will this cause damage to the bike or will my idea work?

For the last four years I have been sorting this bike and you guys seem to know exactly whats what with these motors so I figured you would know best. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I can not tell from the picture but do you have the washer in place that goes between the clip and the seal? If not, that could be part of the problem.

If the washer is in place and the problem is the groove on the shaft is excessively worn then why not just get a new shaft. You should be able to find one on eBay. Of course you would have to pull the clutch to install the shaft but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the washer is in there.

I could get one on ebay, or I could tear it out of my other spares motor. I have had them both apart quite a few times and if this collar will save me doing so again I will use it. Im just trying to save myself the time and effort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it was pretty cheap like 3 bucks for the part and then 20 minutes finding a reamer close in size with 20 minutes on the lathe.
Let me know if your still interested and on my next hardware trip I can snag a couple up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.