Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2 into 1 exhaust in the other day and threw it on, fit was straight forward. finish is DIY the pipes need a little touch up for tool marks, welds are pretty neat. and as they are mild steel they will need some sort of coating. bike sounds good, not real loud but with a much cleaner purposeful bark. seems to run pretty well had a grumpy start, but it has been dormant for about a month, and it just does not like to sit at all. all in all Im pretty happy for less than four bills tomorrow I'm going to lace up my new rims

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I looked at the jethot coating, Might be an option later down the line depending on how nice everything else turns out. in the meantime I believe dupli-color makes a rattle can product good for 2000 degrees with proper prep and bake in.. and the price is right.. if that fails or looks like crap I think i have a local shop that does ceramic coating. Think I'm going to take a minute and make sure I'm real happy with the way it works before I spring for a high tech finish though..

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah, 450's don't like to be ignored, they get bitchy. They like to be started and run at least once a week (or more often) through the winter.

·
Registered
145 Posts
any chance I could get you to post up more pics of your rear brake set up? how do you like it? Does it change feel as the suspension compresses?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im still in the fab stage for the rear brake, I had to modify the linkage a little and I need to fab up some sort of return stop, otherwise the lost motion of the brake wreaks havoc. as best as I can tell suspension effect should be negligible, besides its a single leading shoe drum brake, not exactly the pillar of braking precision ;)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
He's going for what looks to be the exact same setup that I'll be running on my 450. I had my (260lb) buddy jump on it to cycle the rear suspension and the movement in the rear brake pedal is almost non-existant... I personally don't see it being much of an issue..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did you do for a pre load adjustment GB? i'm having a bear figuring it out. essentially there is nothing to prevent my brake lever from moving to the full relaxed position. (at which point the linkage actually contacts the shock. I'll get some photos today.
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is the route I took for my 450. Don't have to worry about suspension flex. Works great too.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
ihatespeed said:
What did you do for a pre load adjustment GB? i'm having a bear figuring it out. essentially there is nothing to prevent my brake lever from moving to the full relaxed position. (at which point the linkage actually contacts the shock. I'll get some photos today.
Thanks,
Greg
Mine's currently still torn down and hopefully SOMEDAY I'll finish her. As for preload, I was just mocking up all of my parts with the OEM shocks. I'll be using a set of Koni's that I found, after I have them rebuilt. My linkage setup is almost exactly what is pictured in the previous post.. Even with the suspension completely compressed (more than my skinny but will ever do) the brake pedal doesn't move more than a 1/4" or so with the cycling of the suspension..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm, you're lucky, mine is borderline ridiculous, I threw in a stop to keep the lever from returning all the way. suspension action has a profound effect on the brakes, unfortunately the more compressed the suspension the less travel. I may have to try a low set up like your's. (first pictures not related, but its my new front rim and tire, real bear to spoon that one on, metzler must make real tough tubes, Cause i really abused that one!)

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
first ride impressions..

so I took it out for a ride, still running rich, but not horrible.. It has 145 main and 38 secondary, I got it idling pretty well by backing off the air screws 3/4 of a turn. it is loud but not excessive and has a good throaty bark pretty good throttle response does not seem to bog or stumble enough to be real annoying. I'll see if I can get a good sound clip.

does anyone have an idea what the stock jets are supposed to be? I have some old crusty carbs with 130's and my rebuild kit came with 145. if anyone has some 140's hanging around they would be willing to part with...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Re: first ride impressions..

ihatespeed said:
so I took it out for a ride, still running rich, but not horrible.. It has 145 main and 38 secondary, I got it idling pretty well by backing off the air screws 3/4 of a turn. it is loud but not excessive and has a good throaty bark pretty good throttle response does not seem to bog or stumble enough to be real annoying. I'll see if I can get a good sound clip.

does anyone have an idea what the stock jets are supposed to be? I have some old crusty carbs with 130's and my rebuild kit came with 145. if anyone has some 140's hanging around they would be willing to part with...
Get a good plug reading first.
450's up to K5 usually had 130/135's.......

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sanded and wire wheeled the exhaust, wiped down with solvent and sprayed 3 coats of VHT flame proof flat black on it. its baking in the oven as we speak, so far so good, the odor is actually slightly less offensive than one of my previous neighbors attempts at thanksgiving dinner :D

did it in a gas oven with no discernibly disastrous effects

very fragile before baking hope it makes it much tougher.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can you expect a power gain from a 2-1 system on the 450's or is it purely aesthetic? I was told by a guy that works on 60's-70's Honda's here that the 2-1 works better for the 350's and such.

Looks good

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its mostly a weight thing, the new exhaust weighs about 9 pounds, and its carried much lower so in that respect yes, there is a huge performance gain ;) seems I read somewhere for every 7 pounds sprung weight dropped its like adding 1hp figure this system is good for 3hp with out even starting the bike.. I expect a slightly different power curve, little more top end not real sure. I really like the way it looks and sounds so i suppose the answer is a little of each.

I suspect one of the other guys could tell you for sure, perhaps someone with some real world experience, ie vintage performance exhaust? The 450's lack of vacuum taps for carb synchronizing may be the reason 2 into 1 exhausts are so few and far between.. Im sure any potential gain would be wasted by poorly synchronized carbs..

My main performance goal right now is weight loss, perhaps when I get it all done up I may tweak the engine, but for now I'd like to see what it feels like with 50 or 60 pounds of superfluous stuff off it

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That includes a few pounds off the rider as well :D I'm hoping for about 400 pounds wet, of course if it "feels" lighter than it actually is I'll be happy ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
brokenglass said:
Can you expect a power gain from a 2-1 system on the 450's or is it purely aesthetic? I was told by a guy that works on 60's-70's Honda's here that the 2-1 works better for the 350's and such.

Looks good
anyone else have any thoughts on this?
I like the look of the 2-1 and want to start shopping for exhaust systems but I'm curious about the performance. anyone currently running a 2-1 on their 450?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
brokenglass said:
anyone else have any thoughts on this?
I like the look of the 2-1 and want to start shopping for exhaust systems but I'm curious about the performance. anyone currently running a 2-1 on their 450?
I did run Hookers (2 into ones) on both my CB K2's, back in the day. I noted a perceptible (but not huge) performance increase with them.
In reality, I think any well-designed (meaning on a dyno, specifically for your model), less-restrictive exhaust would show a slight improvement in git-up-and-go, especially when coupled with some Uni foam filters.

However, a 2-into-one system will make synch/balance on the carbs a PIB, and almost dictate the installation of some manifold taps to allow the use of manometers or gauges of some type.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts