Honda Twins banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
... you can just pop the tank off and carry it to the gas station, then use the looped hose as a handle to carry it back to the bike.

.......Paul
Uh.... no. If you did that, that would mean that you would be carrying a full tank of fuel vertically, with the gas cap at the bottom-front of the tank in that orientation. IE: you would be pouring gas out of the fuel cap/fuel vent and all over yourself and the ground during the entire walk back to the bike. Probably best just to carry the full tank upright, but the idea is still a good one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Here's the trick - put a longer crossover hose on the tank. One long enough that you can lift the rear of the tank up at a nice angle. As long as the tank isn't close to full, the gas will run to the front of the tank and the crossover won't be submerged any more. Pull one end off, loop it over the frame and connect it back. Take the tank off. Reverse the procedure to put the tank back on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That's actually a brilliantly simple and elegant solution. Nice one 83XLX! I'm going to cut a longer hose and fit it to my tank over this weekend! The way I have it now, my crossover tube is a perfectly straight line, from one nipple to the other. Not much room for tank movement when it has gas in it.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
On the 350's having a little extra in the crossover makes it easy to lift the tank out of the rear keeper to adjust the sync of the throttle cables - get access to the rear valves for setting the gap.

It just makes sense.

Reactions: DieselKrampus

·
Registered
309 Posts
Good point Yendor. I also have a few pieces of high density foam about 1.5"x2"x4" that I use when adjusting the valve lash.

After lifting the tank out of the rear rubber keeper, I slide one piece of foam under the rear tank "tab" (the part that slides into the rubber keeper) and after pulling the tank back off of the front rubber pucks, I slip another piece of foam up under the front of the tank tunnel to space it up off of the frame tube.

That extra 2" or so of tank elevation makes all the difference when adjusting the valves without completely removing the tank.

Just one of my many "poor man's garage" hacks that I thought I'd share with all of you other fine folks who love doing your own maintenance!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts