Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This followed me home the other day - 1971 Honda CL175 with about 11,000 miles on it. Pretty much all there, pretty much everything needs some attention.

I'd love to hear from others with CL/CB 175s... (especially if you have a set of side covers to fit this thing). Oh yeah, and a parts book - there seems to be a '68 available online, are there a lot of differences or will the '68 book be pretty useful?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
The '68 book is for a "sloper 175"...Pretty much an overbored 160...
Yours is a "Vertical 175".
I have the parts fiche and shop manual and can scan bits as you need them,
and I can guide you through most everything you'd need to know......
I have several 175's.....
Steve

·
Registered
489 Posts
Pretty nice looking bike there.

Was it taken care of pretty well. Kinda looks like my triple when i first brought home. Well minus the random rag under the seat.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sakibomb said:
Was it taken care of pretty well.
I don't think so... it's a barn bike mostly - last plates were in 1987. It feels like someone started working on it and changed their mind. The carbs were off, exhaust pipes loose, missing one plug & both wires. Looks like one plug hole is cross threaded, I'll need a repair insert.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree on the exhuast statement. The exhaust is probably worth the cost of the bike. Nice project you have there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does this look like the correct left side cover for the bike above?

Looking at some other web photos it might be for a '70 (but should still fit I think, the emblem is slightly different)

Here's a nice '70 pic:

Here's a '71:

Any opinions? Is it the right cover for a '71? And will it fit even if it's for another year?
For the RIGHT side can I use a CB175 side cover? Seem to be more readily available and I'm missing that one too.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi '66sprint -

So you're saying it will fit - can you tell me if it's correct for '71? The other pics I found make it look more like for a '70.

Any idea on a CB175 cover for the right - or is a CL right cover unique as well?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
I'd have to check the parts numbers, but I believe the left-side-covers are identical
for those two years...the emblems changed slightly (color scheme ).....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Old bike, new member, new project - PROGRESS!

Unseasonably warm weather today (like September, not Mid-November) so I went out to my dad's place today to give my mom some computer help and do some CL175-fixin.

Installed the exhaust pipes with the repaired cylinder head exhaust port flange on the left pipe.
Popped the tops off the carbs and switched throttle slides - because the bevel side goes TOWARDS the air cleaner if you want it to idle.
Installed the JB-welded float bowl (WHY do these things get holes in them?) on the right side carb.
Installed battery.
Added some gas until both pipes were flowing.
Fired it up - whoo! it idles now! (more or less). And there's no exhaust leak! Coughing blue smoke though.

But wait - only the left side pipe is warm. Only running on one cylinder. WTF. Recheck right side. Compression yes, plug is wet so it's getting gas, and we have spark, but doesn't run on that side. Pull the valve caps off, yes the valves appear to be operating. Hmmm. Put it back together and start it again. Still only runs on left side. What the heck - it runs smooth and idles, at least I have a 90cc bike. Let's ride around the block....

About halfway around - pop..... pop..... BANG. Suddenly it wants to idle at 5000 rpm. Get back home - NOW it's running on both sides. And it's not smoking so hard. Okay, something started working.

So tweak up the carbs till we have about 1500 rpm idle, adjust some brakes, go for a ride. A long around-the-block on 1987 plates... a mile or so of gravel, a quarter mile of highway (pulls hard to 50 mph and sounds sweet) then a mile of city street back to the house. No more blue smoke and it revs strong.

Drain the gas, pull the battery, put it away for winter.

I Have A Motorcycle.

Time to start ordering stuff for spring - tires, new float bowl to replace the JB welded one, and a new seat cover. Then I can ride to work next summer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My spares are all here now -

2 new Cheng Shin C180 3.00-18 with tubes and strips.
1 new seat cover from Excel Custom Forming (ebay).
1 new NOS float bowl from Thaiger Motor Parts in Taiwan.

Now if I can get my dad to do some fixing over the winter....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't seen it yet, it was delivered to my dad's place where the bike is. He says it looks well made. It's not original though (I knew that when I bought it) - it's plain, heavy vinyl with a white Honda logo - rather than the heat-pressed quilted pattern of the original.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
first ride video

I found my little digicam video of the first ride - this was when it was running on one cylinder, blowing blue smoke, had a horrible exhaust leak, carbs pissing gas all over, idled at 3000 rpm, etc....

http://www.mts.net/~corvair/CL175/Cl175.avi

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Bikenoob said:
I haven't seen it yet, it was delivered to my dad's place where the bike is. He says it looks well made. It's not original though (I knew that when I bought it) - it's plain, heavy vinyl with a white Honda logo - rather than the heat-pressed quilted pattern of the original.
I am also interested in the quality of their seat covers as I am thinking about getting one for my CB450 so I look forward to a couple of photos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts