Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

my '75 CB200 is all stock and runs great (thanks to the expertise on this forum). My son wants to ride it in the upcoming Distinguished Gentlemens Ride, but he wants to "dirty it up" a bit. I had a spare set of headers without silencers, so we pulled the full pipes and put them on. Also removed stock air filters and added pods.

The plan is to use it like this for the ride around manhattan (2 hours, stop and go, speeds 50mph or less), then switch it back to stock. It starts and runs fine like this, so my question is whether I'll do any damage using it like this for a day, or whether I need to re-jet or otherwise tune it to keep it running?

Thanks, as always, for your help and expertise.

Scott

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm surprised that it starts and runs okay - well, starts okay not that surprising, but runs okay is another thing. Have you taken it out and tried any acceleration with it yet? I'd be quite surprised if it ran anywhere near the same after removing all back pressure in the exhaust and all restriction (for the most part) in the intake. If it's running lean, and it's highly likely it would, it could burn a hole in a piston if run that way under load for an extended period. If nothing else, the "driveability" would likely be affected quite a bit

·
Registered
3,147 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
There's nothing "distinguished" about open headers, BTW...:D
Yeah, that too... if you still want to make a little noise, just pull the mufflers and leave the intake alone. It will respond better that way, and at low speeds there wouldn't be much intake noise anyway

1 - 5 of 5 Posts