Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

It has been ages since I posted here, but I'm pretty stumped on something. I have oil leaks from the oil cover (major ones), crankcase cover, kickstart lever, and the cam box.

I pulled the old rubber gasket from the oil cover* and replaced it with a fiber one I bought online. I was told that this is wrong, this requires an o-ring and NO gasket. I pulled the gasket and put the correct o-ring in (I had plenty of them from the search when I had to replace the one on the inside of the crankcase cover, I believe 63.5mm or something) and cinched everything back down. That cover will NOT go down snug on the crankcase cover. It doesn't even come close, it just stops, evenly, with a gap that you can see light through.

I'm curious as to what I could be seeing, if I'm wrong about any of this, and why this might be happening. Alternately, is this just something I should ignore, dump oil in the bike and move on? Please shed some light if you can.

I'm attaching a side view so you can see the gap.

Auto part Muffler Gas Vehicle Metal

*I'm talking about the cover that houses the oil centrifuge and is round, about 3.5" diameter, and has 3 screws with 2 oil jets.

Notes: 1968 CB350, Rotella T4

Also: How do you get all this tarry gunk off of your exhaust pipes from oil leaks?

·
Registered
960 Posts
You have the wrong screws both in type and length.

replace the kick starter seal, cam box gets complicated so try tightening the 4 screws behind the points plate first .... the tach side is easy to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AH! THESE SHOULD BE OVAL! I have some Honda oval 5x16 on hand. Good god I hope you are right! Such an easy fix, such a dumb mistake!

You have the wrong screws both in type and length.

replace the kick starter seal, cam box gets complicated so try tightening the 4 screws behind the points plate first .... the tach side is easy to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I replaced it with the proper screws, and while it feels better, still gapped. Again: not a problem? Definitely problem? O-ring only or do any of these bikes actually use the fiber gasket you can buy?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Most Gasket Sets come with a Gasket but I have never used one.

It is a (2) O-Ring System.
One goes on the Cap and there is a 2nd one that lives in a groove on the case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts