Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1973 CL350 lower case with a stripped oil drain hole. Pieces of thread are cracked off/missing. When you think of the tens of thousands of these classic engines produced, I was hoping there was a kit of some sort to deal with it. Somebody must have stripped them the last 50 years! If not, weld up area and cut new threads? Weld in a bungs? Consider the case unusable? I sure don't have a tap that big.

I'd admit it if I did this, but I've been doing Honda oil changes since my 1971 CL70 and "inherited" this problem! I appreciate any helpful and experienced advice from you all.
IMG_8845.jpg

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Drill and tap the center of the old drain plug for a 1/4 inch pipe plug, then JB weld the plug into the crankcase.

Reactions: Bill H

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Good idea, Mike. Hard to believe... in all my time involved with these things, I've never seen one with damaged threads. Plenty of rounded off hex heads making a pipe wrench a requirement to remove it, but not this

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time Serts only go up to M24 X 1.5 size- 350 drain hole is 32mm. Too bad- that would have been the best solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts