Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I was wondering what oil out my right tailpipe means for sure. I think it is blow by from bad rings. What can I do to fix this? Re-ringing seems to me like the only choice. Are there any other fixes, or short term fixes to get me through the summer? Also while im in there what else should I replace or check.
Thanks a lot

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Smell the oil (in the sump) for a gas smell first.......IF none, check compression

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not sure what it means for sure. It is oil though?

A leakdown test would be good to do too. That would tell you if you're ready for a re-ring and/or valve job.

Dumb question, but could your engine be too full of oil?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Do you mean oil smoke or neat oil coming out?
My 450k had badly worn exhaust valve guides which caused it to drip neat oil.
Anything leaking past rings or inlet valve guide would surely burn and show as smoke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No It is smoking slightly but, what is mostly coming out is "Neat" oil in a mist type pattern.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
One other check before you pull it apart, does the plug show up as oily?
If it is normal colour then go for exhaust valve guides or guide seals as the oil is not getting into the combustion chamber.
Unfortunately whatever it is is going to mean a strip down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After pulling my plug on that size its all black and carbony. I think this means bad rings right? How can oil make it thru to the tailpipe without passing thru the cylinder? Is there an oil passage in the guide area? Thanks for all your help, Im quite the newby when it comes to engines.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
A bad valve guide and/or seal could allow oil into the exhaust tract.....what you are seeing probably leaks past after shutting off the engine (hot oil in the "pockets" in the head) and accumulates in the pipe....Then gets blown out when the exhaust develops enough speed/pressure (@ high revs) to push it out the pipes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I guess the next logical step is to pull the engine and check the rings and guides to see if they are in spec. Where can you buy the valve guides, I can't locate them after searching around online. Do you guys have any suggestions. Also, 66 Sprint mentioned a seal of some sort where in the bike would that be and what is it called (for replacement purposes)

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Valve stem seal, or valve guide seal......(same part)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts