Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can somebody clue me into the placement of the 6 cup type oil seals part number 12620-286-000 It's shown in the parts manual CYLINDER AND SPARK PLUG page 28 but doesn't show me where they go?
Being a Norton guy working on a Honda I'm having to learn as I go on this top end rebuild.
1969 CB 350 twin.
:confused:
Maybe they are for the lower end. I'm only working on the top end. The kit came with way more parts than I need.
And I don't remember seeing them when I took it apart.

·
Super Moderator
26,108 Posts
They fit into holes between the fins just fore and aft of the spark-plugs and prevent harmonic "singing" as they dampen fin vibration.......
I'll see if I can find a good close-up pic.......BTW... There are 12 used, 6 on each side......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? I never would have thought that. They look like they go over a small dia, rod of some kind because they are oil seals as far as I can tell they even have the circular round spring that you see on oil seals. there are 6 of them that came with the gasket kit. They are about the size of the tip of my little finder. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing. I wish I could post a picture of what I'm looking at.
I'll check my parts book closer.
Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea thanks,
That's what I have. I must be looking in the wrong place.
Thinking back I didn't see the 6 seals in question on disassembly.
They must be for some area, inside the crankcases, maybe the tranny.
They will go on the shelf for future use I guess.

·
Super Moderator
26,108 Posts
Very likely (from your description) they are valve stem seals.... Which are not used on that model.......
You are not the first to get unnecessary bits in a gasket set.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k you,
I figured as much I just needed to make sure.
I haven't owned a honda like this since the 60s.
When I had a 305 scrambler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts