Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone confirm if the 500t oil pump is a bigger size than the one fitted to the 450, as I am sure I read somewhere that it was a worthwhile mod for the 450, but have seen no mention of it on this site.

Kind regards

Phillip

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Phillip, The 500T pump is the same as the later 450 pump...... If yours has an alloy body and steel plunger (piston), it is the newer style... The "old" version had a steel body and alloy piston.... I have several "newer" ones if you need one.... Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve,
Having had the pump out I can not remember which materials it was made from, but I think it had a steel piston, the bike is a 1970 K.2 so would that qualify it for a new or old style pump,( assuming it has never been changed in its lifetime) when was the change over date!
The reason I inquired about the 500 pump is that the article I read claimed the 500 pump was bigger than the 450 and therefore able to pump more oil round the engine, which if true would not be a bad thing.
It could have a bigger bore, longer stroke or both!
I saw a 500 pump for sale here in the U.K. a couple of weeks ago but did not buy it as I do not know if there is a difference, so if any one out there has both pumps to hand get your rulers out and let me know.

Kind regards

Phillip

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Specs are the same (diameter-wise) for both the 450 and 500T plungers and oil pump cylinder bores...... IF there was any difference, it would have to be in stroke, and that would mean different part numbers for the "con-rod" and the clutch hubs.. (the lower case halves ARE interchangable, so "positioning" is the same).... I don't have the 500T fiche to compare, but I'll bet the part numbers are the same....... Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts