Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought the bike the guy claimed he put in 4 quarts! Even though it clearly reads 3 qts on the fill cap. So I changed the oil and happily dumped in 3 qts but I am getting a reading on the stick at about 1/8 over full. I am getting a little weeping out of the breather tube, not bad but I want to drain a little out to be safe. I guess there was some left in the clutch or something.

Is there an easy way to drain a little out instead of using the center plug as that thing is a fire house when it comes out. I am checking the oil with the stick not screwed in and also on the center stand.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dyno cover? The stator cover? Will a little drain out or tip over a little? Thanks for the prompt response. Does that cover have little o rings on the bolts/screws?

Why don't they have a sight gauge or just a weep hole that is a max fill line, fill it until oil comes out and stop.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
1971 CB450 said:
The stator cover?
Yes the little round one.

1971 CB450 said:
Why don't they have a weep hole that is a max fill line, fill it until oil comes out and stop.
Cause every time you cornered you would lose fluid.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
1971 CB450 said:
Dyno cover? The stator cover? Will a little drain out or tip over a little? Thanks for the prompt response. Does that cover have little o rings on the bolts/screws?

Why don't they have a sight gauge or just a weep hole that is a max fill line, fill it until oil comes out and stop.
Cause a dipstick is a better way to do it. With just a weep hole, how would you know when the oil was to low? The sght glass method hadn't been perfected yet.

It's funny, when they designed the 1968 Suzuki T500 (Cobra) they used a bolt that you removed and oil would come out the hole just as you suggested. The capacity of the crank case was 1200 cc. After a lot of 5th gear failures, Suzuki decided they had a problem with the quantity of oil and increased the capacity (1974 - 1977) to 1400cc. The funny part is that they didn't change the location of the fill plug and they don't have a dipstick so we use the "by guess and by golly" method of checking the crankcase oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts