Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I am aware there is a washer lock behind it that you have to bend the flanges back before removing it but even with them bent flat I am having difficulty removing it. Any ideas?

This is my first engine teardown so I appreciate any help. I plan on putting up a general build log in a bit.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
You may have to fill in a few blanks before someone can give a helpful answer. What bike for starters, then what part of the engine you're working on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha of course, sorry late night post. It's a 1973 cb350. It's the right side of the engine next to the clutch basket. The "oil filter" has a nut that requires a unique pronged socket, which I have, to remove after you bend back a locking washer. However I cannot seem to get it off, even after bending all of the flanges of the washer back.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wrong subsection - I’m not an admin, but you want the 350cc section. That said, I don’t know if the 350 is different than the 360 in this respect, but you don’t touch the flanged washer on 360s, as it’s a friction lock and doesn’t impede turning the nut... you’ll need to arrange for a replacement of that lock washer.

The slinger lock nut can be a bugger though. I’ve had success with sticking a penny between the gears, and use impact to loosen - if you don’t have a manual impact screwdriver that you can stick a socket extension on, you need to get one. Or you can make sure that the special socket teeth are seated firmly, then hit the socket handle with a hammer. Make sure they stay seated though - you strip the gaps on the nut and that’ll be a crappy day.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
That nut is set at 22 ft pounds so may be tighter than you think. I have a home made tool with 1/2 inch drive that I use. Lock the flywheel and secure the motor to keep both hands free. Use a breaker bar or a long handle on your tool and put pressure down on it to keep it from slipping. Should come free with some effort.

Good luck.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
The 350 is different than the 360.
Access to the Oil Slinger/Filter is via a small (3" Approx) Cover, on the main side cover and does not require removal of the entire side cover like the 360.

So he would not be able to get access to the Gear Teeth to put a penny in to jam them.
I would not want to use an IMPACT Driver here as I think the potential for damage is greater then the benefit.

With that said all that should be required is put the bike in 2nd gear and that will lock up the trans enough provide sufficient resistance to remove the special nut.

Double check you really bent ALL of the tabs back and that one isn't still engaged.

If you need more leverage use a Breaker Bar and add a PIPE extension if needed.
Also make sure you are going Counter Clockwise Leftly-Loosey, Righty-Tighty

·
Registered
929 Posts
Do you have the proper tool to take the nut off?

I only use a 1/2" electric impact to remove these. One hit and its off. No gear jamming etc.

You can drop the crank out without taking it off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definitely have the correct tool for the removal, I just can't seem to get the leverage. I'm going to work on getting a free hand to help hold the engine while I go at it. I also will use an impact driver once I find my adapter. Thanks for all of the replies! Getting home from work and didn't expect such a nice response. I'll be sure to update once I give it another try.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
I only use a 1/2" electric impact to remove these. One hit and its off. No gear jamming etc.
Seconded. It's a tool that gets used once in a blue moon, but when it is, makes life so much simpler.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still can't seem to get it off. I have something blocking the engine from turning. And I'm using a manual impact driver. Doesn't seem to budge at all. I know it's hard to see in the picture but I am positive the flanges are bent back. I do not want to damage anything but I'm an impasse.

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Impact drivers have their uses, just be careful before you use one, and ask yourself if its the right tool to use for the job in hand. This may well save you many hard earned dollars in the future, probably.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tell your family you want a cordless Milwaukee impact driver for Christmas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts