Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a problem with my CB350. It's leaking oil from the head.

I think it could be a blown headgasket, but i'm really not excited about taking out the motor and replacing it. Also i have good compression.
Another thing i came across was this:

This is the bolt right under the spark plug. It seems like it is loose, but i can't manage to tighten it or get it out.
Could this bolt be the reason for my leak? How do i replace it, is it just to force it out? And what should the torque be?

I also tried to tighten the head, but it was already tightened to the correct torque. Could i try to tighten it more?

And if i have to replace the headgasket, is it hard too do?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Your head gasket isn't actually "blown" or you'd be losing compression, but it is leaking oil which is not uncommon. The bolt under the spark plug has been over-tightened by someone previously and they stripped the threads in the cylinder casting, so they attempted to use a longer bolt with a nut underneath. The engine has to come out of the frame to tear down the top end for the repairs you'll need to do. Re-torquing the head will not likely stop your leak.

Since this is your first post here, you need to start here first
Critical - READ BEFORE YOUR FIRST POST

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
As mentioned, it's a common problem with a lot of different Honda's (and a few other manufacturers) The o-rings sealing oil passageget hard from the heat cycling then distort and leak. Some bikes are worse than others, CB550 has unsupported o-rings which leak around 7~10,000 miles when ridden hard, I did o-rings and gaskets sometimes twice a year on mine after the 591cc conversion. CB350 isn't generally too bad for leaking in that position so maybe head /block wasn't checked for flatness or o-rings were not changed or the wrong material was used? (cheap aftermarket stuff?) It's a PITA pulling motor but not actually difficult to do. Have block Helicoiled or 'Timesert' installed on both of the 6x1mm threaded holes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts