Honda Twins banner

Oil Leak

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kirkn 
#1 ·
I have a 1969 CL350 which has developed a small oil leak at the seam where the upper and lower cases meet at the front of the engine just below the starter. I certainly don't plan to split the cases to fix it, so I was thinking of repairing it externally. Has anybody had luck with this. I've thought of using everything from JB Weld to super glue. I think if I could just get something to wick into the seam it would work. I don't think silicone will work under heat and I don't want something ugly like RTV. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Personally, I'd split it and do it correctly.... Give you a chance to clean the internal mung out as well.... It's not hard, and you don't have to touch the top end......Anything external will be ugly.........JMHO... Steve

#3 ·
probably the next best choice beyond the correct aproach is an oil treatment, perhaps Lucas? It slowed my oil pan weeping and stoped my civic from using oil. (only used about a quart every 6000 miles) as far as I can tell there was no negative ramifications, the stuff is pretty goey I would only put about a pint in (w/ the oil).

if any one has any horrible stories to share feel free to round file this suggestion as I have never tried it in a motorcycle

#5 ·
I agree with Steve on splitting the cases. Of course you'd have to pull the motor but you can just flip it upside down and pull the bottom half off without messing with the cylinders or head. of course you'd have to pull the side covers off but I think the bottom will lift right off without much else. You could then reseal it and re-assemble.

Before that however, have you taken a torque wrench and checked all the blots that hold the cases together?

The problem with trying to patch it is that the leak will travel and come out somewhere else.

#6 ·
MNellis said:
of course you'd have to pull the side covers off but I think the bottom will lift right off without much else.
Actually, you have to disengage the shift shaft, which means you have to remove the clutch, which means you have to pull off the oil filter and pump.

#7 ·
tbpmusic said:
MNellis said:
of course you'd have to pull the side covers off but I think the bottom will lift right off without much else.
Actually, you have to disengage the shift shaft, which means you have to remove the clutch, which means you have to pull off the oil filter and pump.

Yea,Yea, I knew that......I think.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Like I mentioned, I am not too eager to pull the engine. It is a slight enough leak that it just seeps down and runs along the frame after a few days. Doesn't even drip on the floor. What I did today was thoroughly clean the seam with brake cleaner then applied Loctite 290. That's the green wicking compound. Tomorrow I will take it for a ride to see if it did anything at all. Probably not but I thought I would at least try the easy stuff first. I am still thinking about running a very tiny bead of JB Weld along the seam. I think maybe I could do it neatly enough that it would not be noticeable. If I end up doing that I will post some pictures. If it dripped a little more oil I could probably do some excellent burn outs in the puddle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.