Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So I took my new-used bike out for a quick 5 min test before I disassemble/clean/reassemble it over the winter. It runs great, but I came back and noticed this oil leak. Also, it seems like it has another liquid in it (see photo). Appears to be coming from the right side where a wire enters the crankcase. Any ideas? Common issue? Maybe a gasket?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
No seal, the sending unit screws into the crankcase. You need to remove the right side engine cover to get at the sending unit but it sounds like you're going to do that anyway.

Part number is 35500-333-014

·
Registered
788 Posts
Also the clutch cover gasket sealing area is quite thin in that region. The oe green gasket has heat activated "glue" and will tear, so a new gasket. I like to glue the gaskets ( non oe ones ) onto the clutch covers, and slightly grease the contact cover to engine area with grease, meaning that the cover will come off ( non oe gasket, heat activated glue on oe gasket remember ) usually without tearing. I have a limited pot of money.

I have come across leaky oil pressure switches.

I canot seem to look into or expand your pictures, can I see oil between the cylinder and the head??

You know that the rear outer head bolts are in an oilway or tunnel, taking oil from the crank case to the head and cam ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @ drydreamer. I'll keep that info for the (now certain) rebuild, and will double check the oil pressure switch.

When I bought the bike, I did notice the signs of a leak between the cylinder and the head. It doesn't look like it's actively leaking (maybe it wasn't cleaned after being fixed?) but I was expecting to have to replace that gasket anyway. Any comments welcome though. Here's a better pic...

I didn't know about that oil flow pathway, so makes sense that there's residue where there is.

(And before you ask - yes I'll be replacing the rusted spark plugs :p)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Those areas appear to be seepage, not an actual leak. Oil will creep thru the gasket material over time, normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts