Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I fixed the clutch, replaced the engine cover screws with fresh stainless ones, replaced the right hand cover, put oil in, and it leaks like crazy.
Gasket appears unbroken.
I’ve remover the cover, cleaned the gasket face, carefully, replaced it. I dried the gasket on the engine.
Still leaks. Assuming it needs a fresh gasket? Or have I missed a trick on reassembly?
New gaskets appear to be obtainable in the U.K.
What to do next?
Thanks for all your inputs
Cheers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a good point, and definitely a possibility. I will check that. Thank you.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Pictures of the right side of the crankcase with the cover off, and of the cover's gasket surface as well, will always help. You never know what someone with more experience will see, especially if the pictures you upload will enlarge nicely. Also, it helps to put the bike you're working on in your signature area, or at least include it in the text of your post

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
As to gaskets, order a complete gasket kit and then use them ONLY as templates for gaskets you can trace and easily cut from rolls or sheets of gasket material......
That way, you are never further than 1/2 hour away from a "new" gasket instead of having to hunt them down on the net......and wait several weeks.....
Exception is the head gasket, but you can/should order a replacement as soon as you use it....

·
Registered
729 Posts
Uk based so you know of david silver spares, wemoto etc., and cmsnl for the exploded views.

You do not say what bike it is?

Did you assemble and adjust the clutch properly, is this stopping the cover from fitting properly, and what about the kick start mechanism??

I assume the oil leak starts as soon as you pour in the oil, or only when the engine is running?

Oilways in the clutch cover???

What bike is it please?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Daydreamer, CB160.
No gaskets for sale in U.K. or CMSNL.
The clutch went back together sweetly, works. Kick start mech all good.
Oil leaks started after running.
I’ve just ordered USA gasket set, and will follow sensei,s advice to cut my own gaskets.
Before that, I’ll measure the screws to ensure new ones are same length.
Anyone use Hermetite anymore? Brit bikes were glued together with this stuff back in the day....

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 175 right after I got it. I had just brought the bike home and was going over it like a new toy replacing every little thing that looked old or worn out while I was waiting for some parts to arrive. I replaced many of the aluminum screws with stainless steel ones, after I got it running the covers started leaking oil. I talked with a bike mechanic friend and he said that the stainless steel screws and aluminum screws expand differently as they heat up and that I should go back to the aluminum screws. I did this and the leaks stopped. I never went back and checked the length of the stainless steel screws but I'm more inclined to think that was the issue more than the material the screws are made from.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As to gaskets, order a complete gasket kit and then use them ONLY as templates for gaskets you can trace and easily cut from rolls or sheets of gasket material......
That way, you are never further than 1/2 hour away from a "new" gasket instead of having to hunt them down on the net......and wait several weeks.....
Exception is the head gasket, but you can/should order a replacement as soon as you use it....
I would like to follow this advice; what type of gasket material should I buy?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts