Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...been awhile since I posted here as my trusty Honda CB450 K6 has given me any problems till i put her away for the winter. She started leaking oil and my next to last ride in the fall...still leaking as she sits parked. Going to tackle the problem now as my 750 has provided me with a winter's worth of work (split the cases to fix a tranny)...anyways, any place you knowledgable folks think I should first look...looks like it could be coming from the shifter side of the bike...could just be the gasket under this cover but let me know if there some likely suspects I should look at first...thanks, ron.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Most likely are the clutch pushrod seal and the output (countershaft) seal..then the shift shaft seal.....If you have a countershaft/chain oiler (unlikely, but possible) that could be it as well....

·
Registered
785 Posts
ron.cieri.313 said:
Hi everyone...been awhile since I posted here as my trusty Honda CB450 K6 has given me any problems till i put her away for the winter. She started leaking oil and my next to last ride in the fall...still leaking as she sits parked. Going to tackle the problem now as my 750 has provided me with a winter's worth of work (split the cases to fix a tranny)...anyways, any place you knowledgable folks think I should first look...looks like it could be coming from the shifter side of the bike...could just be the gasket under this cover but let me know if there some likely suspects I should look at first...thanks, ron.
Shifter seals are notorious for going bad after a few decades in use.
If I am not mistaken, this is the part number for your shifter seal.
OIL SEAL (12X25X4.5)
91201-283-005
But, it might be this one
OIL SEAL (12X25X4.5)
91202-426-003
They have the same dimensions but, different part numbers.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Just pull the shift lever, the (non-gasketed) side cover, a circlip and a washer, then the shiftshaft seal......Tap in the new...reassemble

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank goodness, no I can sleep tonight...I couldn't find the pushrod clutch seal you spoke of in the fiche...eventhough me thinks its coming from the shifter side and not the clutch...can you point me on the right direction on that one...thanks everyone!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The clutch pushrod runs all the way through (across) the engine in the middle of the layshaft... It's the rod the cable operated "worm" pushes into the engine from the left side

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi 66 or anybody...what keeps the pushrod oil seal in place?...just pressure from the clutch lever mechanism?

I found it and it was half out by the time I took the cover off. I think I found it on the fiche in the lower cranckcase section.

I've put clean rags down to see where the leak is coming from...hopefully I'll know soon but I think it is one of the two culprits you originally indicated.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
ron.cieri.313 said:
Hi 66 or anybody...what keeps the pushrod oil seal in place?...just pressure from the clutch lever mechanism?

I found it and it was half out by the time I took the cover off. I think I found it on the fiche in the lower cranckcase section.

I've put clean rags down to see where the leak is coming from...hopefully I'll know soon but I think it is one of the two culprits you originally indicated.
It just taps in and is a pressure fit.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It's just a "pressure" fit. You can tap the new one into place with a piece of pipe or a socket of the appropriate size..

Oops, Mike beat me to it.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm, wonder if this was displaced when I change the clutch cable a little ways back. The rags underneath each seal have pickup whatever oil was dripping so I know its one of those buggers.

·
Registered
785 Posts
ron.cieri.313 said:
Hmmm, wonder if this was displaced when I change the clutch cable a little ways back. The rags underneath each seal have pickup whatever oil was dripping so I know its one of those buggers.
They are both cheap and easy fixes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No oil on the floor today!...just in the rags under the two seals...hard to tell which one, although I believe it is the pushrod seal...but I'll order both if there cheap and get it done..thanks all..ron.

·
Registered
785 Posts
ron.cieri.313 said:
but I'll order both if they're cheap and get it done. thanks all. Ron.
They are cheap, both for under ten bucks and too friggin easy to install. ;)

·
Registered
785 Posts
BTW, when you are installing the shifter seal, clean & scub the shift shaft with soapy SOS pads real good to make sure there is no mung left on the shaft to catch on and f**k up the seal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I could only find the pushrod seal at bikebandit...any known sources for the gear shift seal or i believe it is referred to as a "stopper" on the fiche if I have the right part? I haven't checked ebay yet.

·
Registered
785 Posts
ron.cieri.313 said:
I could only find the pushrod seal at bikebandit...any known sources for the gear shift seal or i believe it is referred to as a "stopper" on the fiche if I have the right part? I haven't checked ebay yet.
Don't you have a Honda dealer that you can go into and order parts from a parts salesman?
I know that stealerships have a bad rep but, when buying seals and gaskets, nothing beats mother Honda.
Being I only live 25 miles away from the American Honda motorcycle parts warehouse, when I order a part, it gets here overnight.
My dealer keeps shifter seals in stock just like most dealerships with a parts counter do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is like 3 part numbers for the pushrod seal...all of them are 12x25x4.5 so i imagine they are just newer and newer part numbers of the same thing.

91201-283-005
91201-292-003
91201-426-003

...found in the lower crankcase view of the fiche.

They shifter seal, I'm assuming is "stopper, gearshift spindle" 24621-200-000?...show in the gearshift and kick start view of the fiche.

is this last one the part I'm looking for?..thx ron.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmm, use the dealer...I usually save them as a last resort although the one i work with is fine...man, i wish I got my stuff overnight...too cool.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts