Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new guy here. I picked up a new-to-me '82 CM450C last weekend as my first bike. It had an oil leak when I first looked at it, but the dealer had changed the oil filter without putting a new o-ring in. They replaced it before I picked it up and the leak was gone. There were a few drips in my garage, but nothing major so I thought it was still some residue left from the pretty excessive o-ring leak. I got all my gear delivered yesterday, so I took the bike out for the first time today. When I parked it, I saw there was a decent puddle under where the swingarm mounts. I looked closer, and it appears to be coming from the sprocket area so I'm thinking it's the countershaft seal. I have a few questions since my Clymer manual isn't much help.

How do I get in there for a closer look? It looks like I remove the shift lever and then the large outer cover comes off to give me access.

How do I remove the sprocket? Is it pressed on?

How do I replace the seal(s)? I've read to drill it, pull it, and tap a new one in which I've done before on various car seals. However, the parts fiche shows two, so I don't know if I need to replace both and if so, how?

Where is the breather(total noob question)? I've read that if clogged, it can cause the seals to blow out. I'm assuming mine is more related to being rubber and 28 years old, but I'd like to alleviate any contributing factors.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group. If you update your profile to include your location and your signature to indicate the year/model of your bike it helps everyone to keep track. Pictures are nice too.

You've got the right idea in getting to the seal. Just go to the drive chain removal page in your Clymers. From there you'll be able to see how the sprocket comes off, real simple. Haven't had the pleasure of replacing that seal myself but it seems someone here did, I'm sure there's more help coming.

You found the right place. :D

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
To gain access, take the shift lever off and then the large sprocket/alternator cover. You'll then be able to take the front drive chain sprocket off. Its just held on by two bolts and a plate. You'll be able to see the seal then, probably have to wipe away a load of grease to get a clear look. Not sure if the cases need to be split for that seal. Sure someone here will know though.

As for the breather, its on top of the valve cover, right side. Connects to the air box.

Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the site :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to pull that outer cover off tomorrow and get a better look at things. I think I can replace the outer seal relatively easily if it's like I think it is, but the inner one worries me a bit. Hopefully I'll have a better idea once I rip into it.

I'll make a signature for myself when I get a chance, but here's a quick pic of my bike for now. I've always liked the Japanese bikes of this era and when I saw this collecting dust in the back of a Harley dealer, it was love at first sight and I had to rescue it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts