Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Had a leak under the clutch lift/sprocket cover so I replaced the clutch pushrod and sprocket countershaft oil seals. I still have oil leaking from the back of the crankcase from it seems where the halves meet but I can't pinpoint it or even get back there to clean. Dry under the sprocket cover.

However, very alarming. I just got back from a little ride and spun the back wheel a bit to check the chain tension and tire pressure and found that the sprocket shaft was squeaking loudly if not profusely. Waiting for the bike to cool down a bit so I can pull the cover and look.

Anyway that oil leak sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Squeaky sprocket counter shaft or the leak?

I see a couple bolts I might check the torque on as far as the leak goes but access back there is very limited due to the frame.

Countershaft I need to take a closer look at.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Can you post a photo of the oil at the case halves?
How's the chain tension? What's it set at?
I didn't think you could do the counter shaft seal with the cases together. There any sagging or metal shavings? Can you remove the sprocket and post a photo?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the response.

Photo at case halves- I'll see what I can do in the morning, but really like I said I can't pinpoint it, and access is tight back there so maybe not. There is no oil above it, there is oil literally everywhere below it.

Chain tension I'm totally lost. .75" (3/4") vertical movement?
My (cheap) chain actually is breaking in unevenly. There's loose spots so I'm just getting it 'about right' - a little loose here, maybe a smidge tight there. I did let it get way too loose for a ride or two when it was first breaking in.

Far as the sprocket seal goes, I'll get some pics of that for you all. I did drill out a pilot hole to remove the old seal and a shaving or two was back there but I meticulously wiped them out. I definitely could've missed a tiny one or two though. I also was sure I'd heard of people replacing it with the method I used.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMG_5813.jpg

IMG_5825.jpg

Yeah sheered off some rubber shavings on the counter sprocket, wasn't squeaking this morning though. I'll keep an eye.

Ok that's the best I could do on pics of the leak.

Idk why the first pic is upside down it isn't like that in my computer.

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lets go boys, I need suggestions.

Baby powder thing won't work here.
Can't access to check torque on nearby bolts.

I want to just ride it but it seems like its getting worse. Send help.

Where's 66sprint?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm aware. The leaking is coming from somewhere between the back of the engine and the frame where theres about 1/4" of clearance. Pics did not work out.

Ok that helps. I'll poke around more. The problem is I really just can't see back there very well at all.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok yeah there's no way, I see nothing :lol:

Here's one suspect area. That bolt. IMG_5830.jpg

It's a little cleaner like you said.

Bonus photo of my exhaust pipe! IMG_5828.jpg

No no you don't understand there was a beer can in there it just got blown out :lol:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Dude, you need to use your eyeballs and fingers and feel around for the leak.
If you can't product good photos then not much we can do

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I've been doing. The crank case is saturated with oil. I cannot clean it off, my fingers do not fit, my eyeballs cannot see past the frame which is capped over the area I believe the leak to be originating.

I tried for the photos. I could achieve nothing worth posting, aside from the ones I did post in hopes you'd see something I don't.

I do really appreciate the replies so far. I will keep investigating and hopefully in the mean time someone or myself will come up with something else to try.

If it comes to pulling the engine...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try drying things up real well and seeing if I can't get any warmer to the source. I'm not optimistic about this situation and really don't want to pay a shop as much as I paid for the bike to torque up a couple bolts I simply cannot reach.

Grr. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
66Sprint
26,297 Posts
Spray it down with brakekleen.... Dust it with baby powder once it's dry....the oil leak will immediately darken the powder.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There he is!

I can't really get back there to clean, much less apply the powder or see it when it darkens.

But I'll clean it up best I can tomorrow and go from there I guess.

·
66Sprint
26,297 Posts
Aerosol spray will reach where you can't.......Throw a handful of powder at the area if necessary

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I guess we may as we'll discuss possible fixes for various scenarios
I don't know where's much you can do if it's a leak between the case halves. I wouldn't suggest attacking the fasteners with a wrench.
Same goes for the rt side crankcase cover. Replace the gasket if that's the source.
You sure it's not a carb drain hose or your breather tube?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now we're talking. Thanks guys keep you posted.

Could be the breather tube. There's a bit of oil around the lip but I figured it came from it sitting flush against the soaked case .

Left carb seems to be leaking from this one point on the carb body I'll post pics of that, but the wet stuff is def oil not gas.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts