Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ripped apart my engine and put it all back together and finally got it to start back up. Now I have a pretty serious oil leak from the bottom gasket where the cylinders and crank case come together. Any thoughts on this do you think I should try torquing it down a bit more or does anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If you've got a "pretty serious" leak I doubt that just re-torquing will fix the problem unless the bolts are seriously loose. It will take some time but you may want to tear it down to where you can see what the problem is and go from there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah im sure that what I will have to do its just that I had it all apart and just got it all back together.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
(cylinder) base gasket...AND..... (assuming you replaced the gaskets on the previous attempt) you will have to replace the gaskets again......Often a leak is caused by a small bit of old gasket still stuck on the sealing surfaces......Doesn't take much....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i did my best to get all of it off there were a few spots that still had black from the old gasket but you could barely feel them to the touch any tips on getting it all off without spending a ton on some power tool and /or gouging the mounting surface?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
A few "black" spots are all it takes.... I use a utility knife blade or single edge razor blade held perpendicular (or almost) to the gasket surface......PITA, but it works....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts