Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
Thanks to ancientdad and others, I got the bug to add a 450 to the stable.
It's not currently running but shouldn't be a ton of work, I hope.
I don't have a truck and was considering pulling it home behind my scooter, approx 10 miles.
I remember something being mention, that oil doesn't circulate to certain areas with the engine off, and rolling it notable distances will cause excessive/premature wear.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I agree with taking off the drive chain, but I have a question.I wouldnt do it but if you did tow the bike in gear wouldnt the oil pump circulate oil thru the engine?

Bill Slivers stated in his book on the 305s that when the bike was stored for awhile to kick the motor over about 25 times every month to keep oil to the top end and to do this after storing to oil the top end before starting. Isnt that the same thing? Just asking.

Bill

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been sitting at least a year, though realistically probably 2, and I didn't want to start or run it until I give it a look through. Same goes for pulling it in first, I'd want to change the oil and confirm a few things first. Very clever though.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
YES!!! Doode! Putting a stock seat on would need some welding but that's what junk doner frames are for. I don't have the fender mount/brace on my racer and never noticed any difference while riding it. The relatively unbraced swingarm pivot area is where extra frame bracing is usually done. Remove the chain and put er in neutral and you'll be fine for towing.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Scooter did a fine job towing the bike home.
I think the rear wheel bumped the seat bottom at least once. How long are the stock shocks, and any clue on their travel? I have a set from a cl350, I wonder if they are similar?
A local shop has a 450 roller with a seized engine for $300. I'm considering picking it up for spare parts, but this means I should probably start unloading my 350 or sohc 450 parts and frames to make space.

Edit: stock shock size is 320mm c-c, apparently. These measure 315mm, same as my cl350

Edit2: pulled a shock, removed the spring. 250mm c-c for 70mm travel. Need to calculate rear wheel movement now.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks like rear wheel bottoms against frame support at 260mm. Hoop has a good bit of clearance.

Edit: above comment is with rear wheel slammed all the way forward. I moved it 2/3 back and there is clearance at 250mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hey all,
Thanks to ancientdad and others, I got the bug to add a 450 to the stable.
Very cool, Doode - glad you decided to do it. As for your frame, mine developed a crack in our replacement forward fender bracket (where the OEM channel-type frame brace/fender mount posts used to be) and because I couldn't be sure it wasn't caused by flexing while practicing hole shots in advance of taking it to the drag strip, I decided to add braces to the area anyway while repairing the fender mount. Since mine is powdercoated, it will have to be done over after the welding. With yours, if you can use the fender loop already there, you'll have a lot less to do. Hopefully you won't have to do any engine work, but I'd still pull valve covers and inspect the cams for wear to give you an idea if the followers will need repair - and I'm sure you've heard it around here often enough to remember how slowly the oil flow gets to the top end on these engines, so be gentle on cold starts and give it at least 2 minutes of low-rev running before taking it out and blasting down the highway. start a build thread so I can follow along...

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think inmate Nigelharris did a circulation calculation spreadsheet a while ago, will see if I can find it.
Most folks retrofit the 72 and later 19mm piston pump to their earlier bikes, I did. The original 16 mm piston pump just doesn’t move enough oil at higher rpm’s.
J

·
Registered
523 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts