Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I discovered last night that my centrifugal oil filter is damaged. Some of the snap ring groove is broken, I don't feel comfortable running it as is so I have a replacement on the way along with the tool to remove the original filter barrel. While going through all this though, I was looking carefully at all the parts and I am wondering what exactly that snap ring does. The filter cover is spring loaded so it can make contact with the rotor, and the way that cover is constructed the rotor really can't go anywhere. I guess what I am wondering is could you run the thing without a snap ring, and if not why? Does it just stop the rotor from wearing excessively on the cover? Does it keep the O-ring under the rotor compressed so that it can seal?

Hopefully someone has an insight into this. Just to be clear, I am NOT planning on actually doing this, I have good used parts on the way to put it back together the way that Honda intended, this is purely my curiosity running wild.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
It acts as a "stop".... The oil filter cap (the vaned, inserted /impeller bit) Must be retained so IF there is ever a high pressure situation, the spring loaded oil guide metal (mounted on the outermost round cover, and similarly retained) can retreat from it, acting as a pressure relief valve.....IF the cap was free to follow (no snap ring) the "relief valve" would not "open".......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, I knew there had to be a reason, I just wasn't seeing it. So is there not a pressure relief valve in the oil pump then? That's where I would think it would be.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently went to grind out my spring loaded oil guide to do the 'high flow' mod, and found that I didn't have a spring installed, but the assembled tolerance was that close that the mating filter components were polished. do I have a problem somewhere that might be causing this? all gaskets and O rings are installed properly.
cheers, Gary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts