Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After much frustration, finally drilled and tapped a new hole through a broken bolt and broken EZ out from one of the oil filter cover holes. So, got the cover off, got the oil filter cover/plug popped out, and even fabricated my own special socket due to lack of special service tool. The socket works OK, what I am wondering is is it possible to remove the filter without removing the entire side cover, and just doing it through the small oil filter cover like I am trying? I see that a shim or block has to be in place to prevent the whole thing from spinning while removing the nut - any recommendations on a suitable block that won't end up depositing debris in the crankcase? A wedge shaped piece of hard plastic or rubber? Or just put it in gear and step hard on the rear brake?

Can't wait to finally clean the oil filter tomorrow....

Thanks for any advice!

-Brendan

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Yes, you can pull the filter out through that opening. There is probably a tabbed washer under the nut that will need to be bent back first but then it's just a matter of loosening the nut and pulling it out.

Now, the trick is getting the tabs on the washer bent back first. Then, getting it re-bent might be a bigger problem. Be sure not to flatten the tabs completely.

Not having access to the gears might pose a little problem but if you have an impact gun it's a non-event. If no impact is available the I thing a ratchet, whacked sharply with a hammer should break it free as well. As always, whacking a ratchet with a hammer is not always a good thing to be doing but sometimes you can get away with it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Buy an impact gun, you will need it many times in your life, this is just one of them.
I have two DeWalt impact guns, they are the best tools in my tool box.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i'm assuming that you already have this tool that goes on a 3/8" extension to remove the filter nut? i spent many days trying to get mine off, and made a few tools that didn't quite make it. then i found this little guy. oh, and my 48oz dead blow did wonders for breaking it loose on my workbench!

http://www.powersports360.com/eshopprod ... f0914_0827

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I crafted my own socket using a grinder on a 12 point 13/16 socket - made sure the four tabs had nice square edges for maximum grip, attached it to a 3/8 drive extender, hooked it all up to a 3/8 drive impact gun and went to town. It came off within seconds, although I was a bit nervous using such a high torque/hard to control the speed impact gun. Only hard part was getting the lock tab flipped back up into place - I accomplished this by way of a hooked nail in a pair of needle nose vise grips - bent the tab nicely back into place. Now I've got a clean oil filter. Thanks for everyone's advice!

--Brendan

·
Registered
62 Posts
I reccomend removing the rt cover if you have never done so and here's why. When I got my cover off to un-stick clutch plates I checked the oil pump screen. It was 3/4 stopped up with imbeded black silicone. A lot can happen in 20/30 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts