Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 81 cm 400 T.. the oil filter cover bolt has been striped, rounded and chewed up. Tried a few different ideas and no luck...what would be the best way to get it to come out

·
Registered
283 Posts
You can grind the stripped head down to flat surface to except a wrench or vice grips. Or chisel a notch at the edge of the flange to hammer on with a dull chisel.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
First get a replacement bolt, filter, orings, and a good quality 6 point 12mm socket).
Optional, get some carpet or cardboard to lay bike on left side so you can hammer the socket onto the remains of the hexhead, try to get into a good spot before you start to hammer the socket onto filter bolt. If its too loose try next size smaller socket, size not important can be inch or mm, hammer it on then try to loosen. If that wont get it done the next step is to use a chisel at an angle that will loosen the bolt. If you drain the float bows and remove the fuel tank, maybe drain the engine oil (you're doing an oil & filter right?), that helps to see what youre doing and use the hammer more effectively with the bike on its side on the floor. Oil is going to start to leaking out when you get a half turn or so loosened, you may want to stand up the bike to get drain pan in place before oil starts to drain. When you install new bolt and Orings don't over tighten and use a 6 point socket. Take your time, it can be done, I've done a dozen or more, using a 2 pound "Drilling Hammer", (short handle) and a chisel that not sharpened to cut but has a flat edge not intended to cut but to push.. Pay attention to which direction you are turning the bolt, sometimes people get confused and turn the wrong direction when its upside down. Good Luck. HondaJohn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts