Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to service my 74' CB 450 and have removed the oil filter cover. Removed the snap ring over the oil filter cap but "can't" separate the cap from the oil filter rotor ? Is there a "trick" to removing it ?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Did you use snap-ring pliers to remove the ring? If so, you have the tool I use to loosen it. I put the tips of the tool into the small gaps at the inside of the cover and use that to gently turn it left and right as I slide it out. You may need to look closely where it meets the drum, so see if junk has built up there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did use snap ring pliers . I'll shine a flashlight inside there and see where to use the pliers or thread in a bolt to use for a pull. Appreciate the direction from BOTH !

·
Registered
555 Posts
Use one of the bolts from the cover you took off to get to it - it should thread easily into the center of the filter cap and lift it off for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lefty, I used a "long" 6mm bolt with a large flat washer. Then used a flat 1/2" thick board that I laid flat against the filter cover surface. With the claw portion of my hammer, carefully leverage out the filter cap, like pulling out a nail out of a board. Worked really slick ! Couldn't grab the internal ribs of the cap as suggest without really marring them up. Appreciate "ALL" the Help !!!!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Lefty, I used a "long" 6mm bolt with a large flat washer. Then used a flat 1/2" thick board that I laid flat against the filter cover surface. With the claw portion of my hammer, carefully leverage out the filter cap, like pulling out a nail out of a board. Worked really slick ! Couldn't grab the internal ribs of the cap as suggest without really marring them up. Appreciate "ALL" the Help !!!!
Whatever works and makes you happy! I like to adjust a wrench and use it on the bolt like a slap hammer. Now that you got it off at this point I cut up some old plastic and form it into a trough and cradle it in there and blast the spinner with some carb cleaner. Maybe a wipe and your done. No reason to fight with the bending of the tab washer to remove it if you don't have to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately this Bike was furthest away from what the Seller described, "just put some gas in it and enjoy the ride". First thing I noticed was that the Petcock was leaking fuel in the off position which cause a great deal of fuel in the oil. Corrected that but this bike hadn't been serviced or even riden in a very long time. I did manage to ride it a few miles which seem to run okay, but hopefully not any damage to the motor with the fuel issue.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
"Ran when parked"

Reactions: spirograph
1 - 9 of 9 Posts