Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang. I just changed all the gaskets on my motor including the right side one on the crankcase where all the oil sets and for the life of me I cannot get it to stop leaking. It's not bad it's just a wet little drip, but I know overtime that could empty all my oil. And it drips onto my exhaust pipe below it which is not good. Got any tips? Take a look at the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
What bike is it? Might be a model specific piece of advice someone can give you. For my CB360, I would NOT use Hondabond (at least, in lieu of a gasket) on the side covers. There's a certain amount of clearance provided by the gaskets, and given the way some bikes have oiling channels machined into the covers, you can mess with spinny bits if there's not enough clearance (e.g., I've shaved off tiny bits of the slinger cover by not providing enough clearance between it and the spout inside the clutch cover).

In general, for me, it'd be two steps - give the fixing bolts/screws on the case another quick snug - not overtight, but see if they'll turn a little tighter. If that doesn't fix it, you've got two options - survive it until you need another oil change and then make sure that your gasket surfaces are brilliantly clean (I use a fresh razor blade razor, but YMMV), and try a new gasket (option 2 is to skip the waiting for the oil change and just do it now, if you don't want to wait it out).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. So, the gasket services were super clean and it was an aftermarket Honda gasket kit. Maybe throwing a little Hondabond on that one spot would work. I put a piece of paper towel over the exhaust last night and this morning it was soaked with oil. I feel like its gonna lose oil fast. My bike is a 80 CM400T. Thoughts?

·
Registered
460 Posts
If it's leaking overnight with the engine off that's a problem. I would get an OEM Honda gasket and use some gasgacinch on both sides of the gasket. My '82 CB450SC has a leak from the lower right side but only when running, and even then it's not steady, more like it's marking its territory.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
If you can get the Honda gasket that should fix it. If not I make my side cover gaskets from FelPro 1/32 inch gasket material. It is equal to the OEM gaskets. Many of the aftermarket gaskets are made from cheap thin paper.

·
Registered
460 Posts
11393-MC0-010 (replaces 11393-MC0-000) is the PN for the Honda gasket. Any dealer can get it for you.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
When you remove the cover to change the gasket put a straight edge across the edges at different angles to see if there are any gaps.When rebuilding a motor I always draw file the surfaces to check for high spots.

Just a thought.

Bill

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think you’ve pushed the gasket out; when you replace it put all the screws into the cover and through all the holes in the gasket before offering the cover up to the crankcases and check to see if all the gasket holes line up... then screw down the cover.

Reactions: longdistancerider

·
Registered
343 Posts
I usually put the gasket on the side cover with some sort of gasket sealer/cement.
Let it set for a while and then install the cover. I can sometimes remove and replace the
side cover without damaging the gasket. The rear cover on a CX500 is huge and you will need
all the help you can get to put it on and not screw up the gasket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.