Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a very neglected 1975 cl360 and i am in the process of disassembly. I wanted to drain the oil while engine is still in the frame. I put a socket on the oil drain bolt and it rounded. I plan to take the engine out and will just try to take the clutch cover and generator covers off to dump the oil out. Then i should be able to lay the engine on its side to get some better access to the oil drain bolt. Any problem with my plan? Also, is an ez out a good way to try and get the bolt out?

Thanks, Gary

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
6 point sockets don't round things as badly as a 12 point will.

If it's trashed then use either a pipe wrench or a chisel and hammer. Place the chisel on the outer edge and tap with the hammer to make a groove. Then turn the chisel so that when you smack it again it will loosen the plug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
When the plug is in good condition, don't use anything but a good 6 point box-end wrench on it. One should still work even if the plug is too rounded for a 12 point wrench to work on it. Sockets aren't as good a choice, as they will tend to pull sideways off the nut. On one that's too rounded for a regular wrench, a small pipe wrench may do the trick, since they have teeth that bite into the metal.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Use Anti-Seize on it when your put it back in.

Steel Plug in an Aluminum case they will seize together if you don't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Old post I know, but this was the only kit that would work when I tried removing my old very rounded sump drain bolt. I tried penetrating oil, blowtorch, pipe wrench, etc. The 19mm bot extractor socket and long breaker bar finally shifted it. Had a new OEM drain bolt and seal ready to be fitted, as I don't want to go through that again!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Old post I know, but this was the only kit that would work when I tried removing my old very rounded sump drain bolt. I tried penetrating oil, blowtorch, pipe wrench, etc. The 19mm bot extractor socket and long breaker bar finally shifted it. Had a new OEM drain bolt and seal ready to be fitted, as I don't want to go through that again!
Mine was a real stubborn one. Rounded from PO oil changes and 20 years in a shed and it was stuck fast. I was sat on the garage floor in a row boat position with my wife sat on the bike otherwise it would have just pulled the bike round all day. When it did go it went with a bang. A new sump plug and oil changes every 500 miles make the process much easier now, it doesn’t have enough time to “weld” itself back on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts