Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be an obvious question, but I'm a relative newbie (apologies) and don't want to destroy my bike. I checked the oil this morning before heading out with an ambient air temp of about 65 degrees. I was horrified to get a clean dipstick. I remembered to check it warm, so I fearfully ran it for a few minutes, then turned the engine off and let it sit for a few more, only to find a dipstick that indicated the oil was almost full. I have less than 200 miles on the bike since its last change. Is this normal or am I about to blow up my engine?

Thanks. IMG_0670.jpg

·
Registered
909 Posts
Oil doesn't expand that much. Cold, warm or hot it should be within the marks of the dipstick or maybe a touch over.

Center stand, level ground, dip stick sitting on side cover and not screwed in are the criteria for checking.

In 200 miles you would see or smell evidence of leakage or burning oil if it was down that much.

·
Registered
805 Posts
There's a procedure to it outlined in the above tips, also if you've never checked oil before (which is more likely than one would think, I knew people who lived in places where all the gas stations are full serve and hadn't even pumped their own gas before) the dipstick needs to be wiped off before reinserting, otherwise you're just reading what has splashed onto it from engine running (an overestimate).

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
If it ws BLANK when cold and full after to you ran it then I'm with the last post you were just seeing what splashed onto it.
It must be wiped clean before every check.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The dipstick just inserts into the sump, so you should have approximately the same level reading cold (oil all drained down while sitting might compensate for expansion)
IF it was parked on the jiffy stand (side stand), we might have an explanation.....The "missing" oil was in the alternator case-cover area and simply had not had time to flow back to the sump through the relatively small hole/passage connecting the areas.....But this doesn't take forever.....
Otherwise as above.....Splashed.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all - I think the issue was the side stand (and an uneven garage floor). I was wiping down the dipstick ahead of checking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts