Honda Twins banner

Odd Noise From Battery Area? (Vid Included)

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  WoundedCyborg 
#1 ·
I just can't catch a break! Here I am yet again fellas, fixed my no spark problem...fixed my tank...now theres a problem with the battery area on my cm400a (at least that's what it sounds like) here's a vid from YouTube.

Happens when I push start, wasn't getting a response kickstarting. Notice at the end of the vid I brout the camera on close, the squeak is my chair, but if you listen closely it sounds like a gentle bubble/gurgle sound.

Any suggestions?
Hoping it's an easy fix
Thanks (once again) guys and gals.

#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like the solenoid is acting as a "buzzer", which can occur three ways:
#1..... Battery is weak and can't operate both the solenoid and the starter motor....(low amperage)
#2..... Starter is defective (binding) and drawing too much current, so solenoid releases and the cycle repeats.....
#3..... Bad solenoid switch....

Try "jumping" the bike from an (unstarted) car battery if it works , your battery is weak....If not, the starter motor or solenoid is the problem....
By-pass the solenoid to determine which......
Phone for directions if necessary....************....
Steve

#3 · (Edited)
#1..... Battery is weak and can't operate both the solenoid and the starter motor....(low amperage)
Would I be able to check the battery with a multimeter to test the battery strength as an alternative to jump starting it?

Just had the battery charged two months ago so I doubt this is the problem. (Bike has been sitting since September 10th) but I don't know how old the battery itself is.

#6 ·
Just talked on the phone and the battery turns the starter over fine when directly connected to it, and the solenoid "clunks" appropriately one time (and does not buzz) without the start motor connected to it, so it appears the internal solenoid switch contacts are the problem..... We are attempting to re-try with the battery also jumped from a higher amperage (car) battery to verify that the solenoid internal switch contacts are to blame, but that is the current assumption....

#7 · (Edited)
After the jumpstart attempt the bike made the same noise, confirming the solenoid is to blame. You da man Sprint! Thanks!

I forgot to uninstall the old solenoid to confirm the connections that are on it :(, do you know how many connections on the solenoid there are and what type(bullet, 2 wire terminal, ect.) by any chance?

On ebay Im seeing used ones that advertise to be for my cm400a but some have just two bullet connections, and others have a bullet connection and a terminal (cant see how many wires are fed through it).
Assuming year doesnt matter either?

After thought:...When I bridged the wires on the top of my solenoid, wasn't I basically hotwiring my motorcycle :eek: ? Like... could I run my bike w/o a key using that method? Thatd be so cool :lol:

#8 ·
You WERE "hot-wiring" the starter motor, BUT NOT the Bike.....
Without the key turned on, (unless it is bypassed/disconnected) your ignition is grounded out and the engine won't run.....Also, lights, etc won't be powered.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.