Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this CB350 a couple of days ago (Australia)
Frame number says it's K3...obviously it's got a '68 tank on it, but also has a few other strange quirks?
Rear guard and tail light for one, then there's the light in the steering stem which I think may be an original item as the nut itself is a lot taller (than any I have on my other bikes at least)
Dash.jpg Rear guard.jpg Left Side.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Nice lines but bad rust. It looks like somebody thought it would be a good idea to strip off all the paint and then run with the bare metal look. If it isn't too late, a little polish and a little paint would make it a very nice looking machine.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
The steering stem nut was different on the older 350 models that had the friction steering damper. My guess is that someone removed the damper assembly and stuck a high-beam indicator light in the hole. Here's a pic of the damper assembly.
8A4D0C6C-88FB-4519-AF83-8F5D371E4B4E.jpg

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The actual nut seems taller than normal?
Have heard back from a guy today that says he's seen these lights before.....Japanese speed limit warning light?
Have since managed to find a picture of a mechanism that screws into the speedo cable to trigger the light...mine hasn't got that as it seems the gauges etc. have been swapped out in it's past.
So it appears to be a real deal thing...perhaps

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
I wonder how it would be wired.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I wonder how it would be wired.
I guess in those days it could have been a mechanical device inline with or inside the speedometer triggering a switch to light the over-speed indicator.
It could be a simple matter of a spring being compressed by an actuating arm attached to the speedometer's magnetic drive coupling, when speeds rise the arm compresses the spring then switch contacts close and the lamp lights.

Or it could be wired to the oil pressure sensor, perhaps the PO had a bad experience and wanted a brighter warning light?
What if anything is it currently wired to?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts