Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting on parts, money and a title (more on that in another post soon) I decided to adjust the points and valve clearance today. This is my first experience with this engine family but I have worked on my share of bikes, having previously worked as a motorcycle tech for a few years. Here are some things I found interesting:
-.002" is impossibly small in terms of valve clearance! This engine is a Swiss watch compared to the air/oil cooled Suzuki Fours that I'm used to doing valve adjustments on. Those engines call for .005" on the intake and .008" for the exhaust.
-The follower adjustment mechanisim is elegant but tricky to get right on a 40 year old bike. I wish that all the screw/locknuts were under covers like the one for the left exhaust is so there wouldn't be issues with corrosion.
-Much of the shiny has worn off my cam lobes. No scoring yet but I'll have to keep an eye on it.
-The right intake was in spec (hooray!), the rest were a bit off. I'm pretty sure this is the first time the covers have been off.
So now I'm that much closer to having a running 450 Scrambler. Good stuff!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
If you've already met Bill then you'll be in good hands. If you've got experience with Suzuki fours and other bikes then these things aren't that tough.

Did you post a picture of the complete bike somewhere? Like you, I like the exhausts on the early CL450's. If you can't get a title and want to get ride of that thing let me know. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen your attention to detail Mike, that bike would drive you crazy! It's all there and seems to have been stored inside somewhere for all these years, but pretty much everything has a light coat of rust on it and the engine is oxidized real bad. I suppose it would be a good candidate for a resto, but I just want to clean it up some, get it running and ride it alot.
I'm kicking myself for not seeing a CL350 that was for sale in Fort Wayne on CL. It had a cruddy paint job, and a title and was probably at least as close to running as mine is. Oh well. :?
I don't think I have posted a complete picture. The only one I have is on my cell phone, I started taking it apart right after I brought it home.
Bill's the Man, that's for sure!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.