Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Argh!!! Laying everything out to reassemble the cylinders I realized the ONE THING I'm missing is the O-rings for the bottom of the cylinders. :mad: A quick perusal of Honda 350 parts @ ebay shows them going for >$5. Sometimes considerably > $5. :( Hey it's just an o-ring right? The only thing making it special is the size. Hmmm A generic search turns up plenty of sources! :D Then I realize this is Friday evening. :mad:

That's kinda how this whole project has gone. :( I have been really surprised how good the motor is and how easily this one has gone together compared to previous ones, but everytime I begin, I have to stop and find something I thought I had. Hmmm, that actually say's more about my preparation habits than the project huh? :-? Oh well. The good news is, if I got the size right, it's gonna benefit ya'll just as much as me when they finally arrive. The minimum order of 50 sell's for about the price of one NOS Honda o-ring on ebay. :grin::grin::grin: Set em up. O-rings for the house! ;)

EDIT - ARGH!!!! I should have seen this coming. :D After the "small order fee," minimum quantity, S&H, etc... an envelope with 50 o-rings would have been more than double what one NOS o-ring costs. A good deal, if you have a use for 50! So now I've located another vendor who's agreed to send me 10 for about the price of one NOS o-ring. :) Beginning to think I should have just bought the Honda parts and moved on. :D:D:D

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I've bought top end sets and bottom ends sets from 4into1.com many times, both Vesrah and NE, and have had no trouble with them, as well as they come complete. Never had to find any gaskets separately

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have "remnants" of several sets and odd specific gaskets bought over the last several years. The current project is just getting a top end and I have the other needed gaskets... I think. :rolleyes: These o-rings though seemed generic enough to source, well... as generic parts. The whole project is a sort of Frankenstein gig anyway, so I figured why not?

I did buy a "complete gasket set" several years ago from one of the usual vendors. I no longer recall which. It was for an SL350 - no e-starter. :cool: I double checked that the set was listed as SL350. It was listed separately from the CB & CL set. Seemed legit. Nuh uh. I got a standard CB/CL gasket set for cases with an electric starter. Contacted the vendor and they wanted to school me on my SL being different! "We only stock the standard CB/CL gasket set" and they blamed it on my mistakenly ordering the CB/CL set, but did offer a refund with me shipping it back. I checked their site and sure enough there was THEN a disclaimer that the gaskets would not fit an SL. I came up with a work around, don't remember if I found another gasket or made one, but got by and wrote it off to experience. After all, it was only ONE gasket. I could still use the rest. ;)

Anyway, while waiting for the o-rings to arrive I'm trying my hand at a custom replacement for the missing stator cover. And while going that way, incorporating a 1/2" drive remote starter drive! While it's involved quite a bit of machining and a little welding, the starter drive has so far turned out to be the easy part! Sheet metal man I am not. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts