Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this won't start a "what's the best oil" type thread, but I searched for O ring info, didn't find anything. Bike is '86 450sc and I need to replace the two petcock o-rings. There's one between the petcock and the tank, and another at the strainer cup. One/both are leaking and because I'm cheap, I'm not springing for the full $20 rebuild kit because the other parts are in good shape.

Has anyone tried using Home Cheapo plumbing dept o rings for this? A little research shows that the best material for fuels would be nitrile or viton, but HD only describes theirs as "rubber". If I could get a couple years out of them before replacing again I'd be happy. The advantage of HD would be that I can walk in with the valve and try different sizes, cash 'n' carry....if I ordered online, i'd have to figure out the correct sizes to order, etc. Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Plumbing seals won't necessarily stand up to exposure to any type of gasoline.

Your local auto parts store will have a selection of o-rings, should be one there to fit. Local motorcycle shop is another source. Any automotive/motorcycle/boat/lawnmower fuel system parts made in the last 40 years are compatible with ethanol.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Hopefully this won't start a "what's the best oil" type thread, but I searched for O ring info, didn't find anything. Bike is '86 450sc and I need to replace the two petcock o-rings. There's one between the petcock and the tank, and another at the strainer cup. One/both are leaking and because I'm cheap, I'm not springing for the full $20 rebuild kit because the other parts are in good shape.

Has anyone tried using Home Cheapo plumbing dept o rings for this? A little research shows that the best material for fuels would be nitrile or viton, but HD only describes theirs as "rubber". If I could get a couple years out of them before replacing again I'd be happy. The advantage of HD would be that I can walk in with the valve and try different sizes, cash 'n' carry....if I ordered online, i'd have to figure out the correct sizes to order, etc. Thanks for any info.
I have an assortment of metric orings. Measure the sizes you need , and if I have them, I'll send them to you in an envelope. (you'll have to PM me your address.)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Go online and search for Vitron metric orings. For $2 you will have a 20 year supply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts