Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't do a very good job documenting this build. I'm going to play catch up.
I got this little honda for a tad over a song behind a barn. Thought it would be fun to do a down-to-the-nuts-and-bolt teardown and build it up again. as I started the rebuild, it took a turn for the interesting. I don't have to mention the 'hard-times' here but spending money isn't high on my list right now. so things got hawked, hard luck engineering took over and I spent money only when I had to. Beg borrow steal sort of way about it.

She got new rings, some cylinder honing and alot of chopping. Hawked the seat, replaced it with one off a schwinn. seriously. Lost her shocks, box-stock took its place. kaw front fender on the rear, vintage yamaha tank up front and some renthal bars.
I hacked up the wiring harness and to date still working on a replacement. While dissasembling the motor I busted a tang on the clutch basket. honda cr controls and throttle replaced the bulky old ones. a few barbaric brackets here and there and she's almost ready.

Still to come are some fork seals, new treads, some stoppers for those new treads, the wiring and finish running the gas tube. copper tubing all around for the fuel, the cables too. then comes the fine tuning....hope I timed her right when I put the motor back together. the cam chain tensioner was a tad questionable. The clutch is my next project to complete.

its been a long winter and i should be on the road already. im short on time, shorter on cash and this bike has been real blue collar. but its mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got my clutch basket in and my new wires. waiting for the coils and a day off and with any luck and some fresh oil i should be able to finish up the wiring and fire her up. any one know if you can do timing with the motor in the frame?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the way you ask scares me.... point timing i'm sure can be done in the frame, its actually the cam timing i am worried about because of the clearance taking the cover off. i haven't tried but it doesnt look like even removing the top motor mounts i'll be able to get the cover off and out of the frame. so.....? i'm pulling the motor out again if i didin' time it right going in????

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ouch. you have confirmed my fears.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I finished the clutch, had to make a gasket for the cover. Finished up what little paint was left and the mess of wiring. i have the battery hooked up and i hought I had most of the wiring done, when i turned the key, nothing....i think the battery is dead. there are a few wires hanging around i have not identified...one is a light green and pink? coming from the alt. anyone know what that is? and a long white wire i haven't identified. anyone know if a 71 had a kickstand or nuetral switch that deactivated the starter/coils?

I had a close friend drown this saturday, forced me back into the garageto deal with my pain in my own way. so far it has been productive, despite having to see his Aspencade parked in my garage. but Im almost there. the pictures are from friday and don't reflect what I have finished the last two days.

I wrapped both pipes, made a bracket for my new coils (kind of barbaric the bracket is) spark plugs are in, most everything is hooked up i think electrically except the tail light and blinkers. I hawked the original tail light and blinkers and replaced them from a combo off an 80 cm400 at the local junkyard. i shortend the turn signal tubes to bring them in closer, looks good i think.

if you look close you can spot a few personal touches... caddy flip open cover for my key, caddy symbol on the tank cap, skoal can lids on the filter ends.... just so theres no question who owns the damn thing.

my parole officer took these pictures...she's much better at operating a camera than i am... awful nice of her to give me a day off from yard work to get some real work done...

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
WOW That is one unique bike!

I love the petcock/fuel line. :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts