Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the clutch on my cb450sc, and now it wont shift past 2nd...uggh!
Ideas?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I can shift through all the gears by moving the rear wheel back and forth, and when it is running. I took a test ride and nothing past 2nd......?

·
Registered
140 Posts
You say "replaced the clutch". Does that mean you had the clutch basket and all of the disks replaced? What exactly came off the bike and what was replaced?

Did it shift fine before the replacement?

May sound dumb, but are you sure you're getting your foot out from under the shifter every time you shift? Not letting the shifter return to its neutral position will keep it from shifting to the next gear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the friction disks, the springs and the bearing. I'm pretty sure I allow the shift lever to return to neutral, but I'll have to try that to be sure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pay attention to what the shift lever does. When trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd, is the shifter traveling as far as it does when you shift from 1st to 2nd? If it doesn't hit 3rd, try slowly adding throttle (a few hundred rpm's at a time from idle) while clutching and trying to shift up to 3rd. If it hits 3rd, something is not allowing the clutch to disengage. If you can match rpm's right, you can shift without the clutch. I wouldn't recommend doing this a lot, but it can rule out shifter/ trans problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try the throttle while shifting trick next, but I won't be able to test ride until late tonight.
Thanks for all the pointers, chums.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mtnlvr said:
You say "replaced the clutch". Does that mean you had the clutch basket and all of the disks replaced? What exactly came off the bike and what was replaced?

Did it shift fine before the replacement?

May sound dumb, but are you sure you're getting your foot out from under the shifter every time you shift? Not letting the shifter return to its neutral position will keep it from shifting to the next gear.

Thanks mtnlvr!

Just tried returning the lever to neutral before/after shifting, and it works fine. It used to return without my help. Is there a spring that may have detached? Any way to fix this? Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
The only spring that I can think of is inside the right crankcase. See item 4 in the attached.

You may also want to check to see that your shifter is not installed too far onto the shifter shaft and rubbing on the cover. That would probably bind it enough to keep it from centering.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I opened the case, and I wasn't able to see that spring. I think accessing it would take some digging. I adjusted the lever yesterday because it seemed like it was coming really close with the case, but I'll see if bringing it out on the shaft a bit solves it. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
dpb said:
Yeah, I opened the case, and I wasn't able to see that spring. I think accessing it would take some digging. I adjusted the lever yesterday because it seemed like it was coming really close with the case, but I'll see if bringing it out on the shaft a bit solves it. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
That spring should be clearly visible when you take the right side cover off. You'll see it just below the clutch basket.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HerrDeacon said:
dpb said:
That spring should be clearly visible when you take the right side cover off. You'll see it just below the clutch basket.
Hello HerrDeacon,

Really? Ok, well that's good news. It must have detached when I was wacking on the lock nut holding the clutch basket down.

Is it ok just to leave it as is for now? I don't want to waste the oil/filter and the all the time spent on making an "ultimate gray" seal (a challenge for a total amature like myself!) for the case.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool! Thanks H.D.

I wonder how that burly looking thing could have come undone...?

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Not really sure, could have broke, or a previous owner forgot to put it back on when installing, or installed it incorrectly. Guess you'll find out next time you open it up. Let us know.

Now this has me thinking if I installed my spring incorrectly when I put mine back together, as my 400 is not shifting right either. Hopefully its that simple.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was fine before I started poking around in there.
I have a sneaking suspicion the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" was first said by a mechanic :lol:

Hope yer 400 is a simple fix.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Dan, if you don't mind me asking, do you have much free play in your shifter? When I checked mine last it had about an inch or so of wiggle up and down without doing anything, which seemed a bit excessive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Perry- I think that is about what mine is too, I'll check later.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Dan, how did you make out after regarding the shifter. I checked out the shifter spring on my 400T and sure enough, the spring wasn't installed correctly. Mine wasn't applying any pressure at all to the spring stop which was causing all the slop I had in the shifter. Fixed that and now it shifts great. Hope you find the issue with yours.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts