·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:!:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yep...Too obvious... You don't use the "old" race 1/2 or seal.... the new tapered roller goes on the BARE stem ...but may need the shim washer(s) so the lower bracket will clear (not rub) the neck...This "need or not" situation is determined by measuring the total heights of the old assemblies versus the new bearing "stacks".......

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Here are a couple of links that I have been involved in that might help you out. In my case the top race sticks up a little bit but it's not a big deal. I had problems with the lower triple hitting the headstock but nothing a little grinding couldn't fix.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=682&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=steering+bearing&start=20

Here is some more when I was installing them, about half way down the page.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=639&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=steering+bearing&start=70

Do a search on the forum on "steering bearing" and you should find some more discussion.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah, this has been gone over here a number of times for different models.

A Search will get you what you want to know.
Guys with the SOHC Fours have the same problems, as they all use the same steering bearings, more or less. That's all documented over at http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php . That's a very large site, do a search there and you'll get a ton of info.

From personal experience, I think Pyramid stuff can be iffy in fitment sometimes.
The AllBallz kits seem to give less trouble.
I put Pyramids on my 450 and had to grind the stem a bit to get the lower race to go on.
Like Steve said, worry about getting the bottom worked out - you may need the washer to keep the bottom clamp from rubbing on the neck.

The top will work itself out, most likely, try it and see.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts