Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I'm building a '74 cb200. This is my first build and it has gone great until dealing with the electrical. I got a new main switch ( i was having the same problem with the old main switch). The brown/white and brown lines aren't getting any power to them. When i turn the key to the 3rd position, my starter won't work, but i do get power to the Brown line. either way, i still don't get power to the brown/white. I might have explained this really confusingly so let me know if you have any questions. MC Archive this is the link to a cb200T wiring diagram. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I believe position one is off, two is everything on, and three is tail light only. Check your fuses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok that makes sense because the brown line goes to the taillight. Is there only 1 fuse? the one going into the starting solenoid? Would the starter work if that fuse was blown? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks.
-austin

·
Registered
473 Posts
You mention in your original post that you were building a '74 cb200, but then mention the cb200T wiring diagram which is for a '75-'76 model and has daytime headlights.
Can you clear that up for us. Also the main switch is only allowing power to pass through from the b/w wire to the brown wire. Power is supplied to the b/w wire on the '74 model from the blk wire in the light control switch. In the '75 model it gets it's power from the starter switch when it's released. (lights are powered down to start the engine)
Your ignition switch is working as it should. If the fuse is good, I'd be looking for a problem in the headlight switch or starter switch, depending on which model you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for the confusion; it is a '74 cb200. I'm going to switch the fuse tonight and see if that helps. The headlight switch is the right hand control switch right? My right hand control switch has low and high settings only (no on/off)

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's correct, the switch is on the right side just below the kill switch. It should have a dot for off (slide all the way left) an "L" for low in the middle and an "H" for high beam on the right. If switch is worn or corroded it may be hard to feel each position. Check operation of switch from the headlight bucket first for voltage at the black wire that connects/feeds the switch. Then disconnect the rest of the wires to the switch harness and check for continuity through the switch in each of the three positions.
You should have 0 ohms between the following leads.
Off = B/w to W
Low = BK to B/W & W
High = BK to B/W & Blue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so the fuse is good but i think i may have found the problem… I had to order a new right hand control switch because when i bought the bike the control switches were missing. This control switch is probably off a cb200 of a different year because it's missing the off switch for the lights. It just has L/H. the wires on the original switch have the following colors: White, Brown/white, yellow, yellow/white, blue, black, and another black and black/white(kill switch), and yellow red. The kill switch i have on the bike right now has blue, white, Black and black/white (kill switch), brown/blue, and yellow/red. So am i out of luck with this kill switch or can i make it work? Im missing the yellow(Goes to silicon rectifier) white/yellow, black, and brown/white. I do have the extra brown/blue. Let me know if i can somehow make this setup work.Thanks.
-Austin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i figured it out… the brown/blue wire is acting as the black wire so once i plugged it into that, everything worked! thanks for all the input
-Austin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts