Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bmikarts.com/Checkered-Sports-Whitewall-Million-300-18-Motorcycle-Tire_p_7241.html

What do you think of this tire? I love the look and price. I can’t find anything about them. You think it’d be dangerous being they are old? I’m mostly riding two lane highways on my CB350 Cafe Racer. New to riding as well. They are New old stock that were “wrapped” and stored.

NOT DOT CERTIFIED. Does that make a difference in the tire? If I wreck is that going to effect insurance?

If this is a no go, any suggestions on an affordable white wall?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Rubber hardens when it gets older. The problem with old tires is they are hard. This causes them to loose their grip. I use the stickiest tires I can find. You never can have too much grip.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I go back to the old saying you get what you pay for. You can't even buy a "decent" bicycle tire for 20 bucks. I'd personally stay away from those. Isn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I go back to the old saying you get what you pay for. You can't even bike a "decent" bicycle tire for 20 bucks. I'd personally stay away from those. Isn't worth the risk.

Ya. I was just hoping I stumbled upon a great deal. I guess I’ll continue the search for a good old school white wall for my CB350.

Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
725 Posts
I find it surprising that any quality business would sell those tires, they look like they were junk from the get go. Past their expiry date there probably dangerous.
Quality tires will change your bikes feel. Don't cheap out on brakes, tires or suspension parts, it is the best thing you can do for your riding enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I find it surprising that any quality business would sell those tires
Why ? He's clear in the add, and gives no warranty. It's the buyers responisbility to investigate. It's more or less the same as the Firestone Champion Deluxe tires. When I see someone riding with those tires.... :sad:.
In the Netherlands the add for those Firestones says clearly "for show / display only, not for riding", I wonder why .......And these tires are fresh....
A cafe racer in general is in most cases a dangerous machine to ride, and in this scene apperance is more important then anything else including safety.

I would say, yes, why not ? Buy them, use them, maybe you'll learn the hard way...( not serious)

btw, the TS is lucky to ask the qustion on this forum instead of Facebook or other social media.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Why ? He's clear in the add, and gives no warranty. It's the buyers responisbility to investigate.
I stand by my statement. The only people who will be interested in the tires are those that know nothing, the OP had know idea what to look for. If you have to investigate what a motorcycle business is selling you because it may be faulty then they're not much of a dealership. If you owned a bike shop would you sell your customers dangerous junk? Anyone who puts profit ahead of peoples safety is a scumbag regardless of the product.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
They would be good for a museum piece but not for the road.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Damn, those tires are just too cool looking. I had a '68 CB350 a few years ago with the original Bridgestone Safety Super 10 tires. Almost fifty years old at the time and going strong. I also have some newer tires on bikes that weather checked before they were five years old. I have no problem riding on old tires as long as they look good. I have had to hack saw off some really old tires that I could not pry off, so I know how tough those old tires are. Guess maybe that's why I don't worry too much about it.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Damn, those tires are just too cool looking. I had a '68 CB350 a few years ago with the original Bridgestone Safety Super 10 tires. Almost fifty years old at the time and going strong. I also have some newer tires on bikes that weather checked before they were five years old. I have no problem riding on old tires as long as they look good. I have had to hack saw off some really old tires that I could not pry off, so I know how tough those old tires are. Guess maybe that's why I don't worry too much about it.
You apparently have never laid a bike down because of old hard tires.

Your butt, your bike, do what you want.

·
Registered
239 Posts
No I haven't crashed due to a tire because like I said I use them if they are good. If they are hard, whether old or new, I don't use them. But if they are pliable, not cracked, etc. I use them. The new Dunlop tires, like the K81 and K70, are made in Indonesia. I would rather have an old Japanese tire myself. And I understand what you're saying, but it sounds kind of funny to be talking safety and yet we ride 50 year old bikes. Someone watching our discussion from the outside would laugh because they probably have disk brakes, radial tires, ABS, etc. and we are discussing safety !!!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Safety is important on any bike regardless of age. My Cd175 has probably 1/2 the power of a modern cc equivalent but with a 140 mm SLS drum brake on the front so far less brake than a hydraulic disk with abs ...I wouldn't go jogging in 40year old trainers even if I liked the look, I wouldn't use 40 year old brake shoes even if they were NOS Japan .Those tires might not be BAD but they're definitely not GOOD. Since your tires are the only point of contact to accelerate, turn and stop your bike, I'll use the best ( and in this case newest ) I can get

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
This forum is all about safety which is obvious if you read through it from pointing out unsafe hacks to make cafe bikes to the infamous new to you checklist. Any bike, no matter the age must be gone through, you have no idea what a previous owner has done or not done to the bike.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey guys, not being argumentative, but again over-worrying about tires but not worrying about drum brakes, wobbly frame geometry, etc on old bikes seems funny. If you're really all that safety concerned you wouldn't even ride a fifty year old bike. Just saying...

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Hey guys, not being argumentative, but again over-worrying about tires but not worrying about drum brakes, wobbly frame geometry, etc on old bikes seems funny. If you're really all that safety concerned you wouldn't even ride a fifty year old bike. Just saying...
Since I can't do anything about my drum brakes other than using NEW shoes ( old ones delaminate) and making sure that it's as set up as well as I can. I can't do anything about the wheel bearings, steering head bearings and swing arm bushings except use new ones, etc etc all the checkpoints that are advised here on HT to make an old bike road worthy

I think we agree that the safety concerns regarding a 40+ year old bike is MORE important than a new bike, in that there's 40+ years of wear and PO neglect .

Because of this why wouldn't you make your bike as safe as it can be ???? That would mean not using out of date rubber.

So again
Safety is important on any bike regardless of age. My Cd175 has probably 1/2 the power of a modern cc equivalent but with a 140 mm SLS drum brake on the front so far less brake than a hydraulic disk with abs ...I wouldn't go jogging in 40year old trainers even if I liked the look, I wouldn't use 40 year old brake shoes even if they were NOS Japan .Those tires might not be BAD but they're definitely not GOOD. Since your tires are the only point of contact to accelerate, turn and stop your bike, I'll use the best ( and in this case newest ) I can get

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
An 40+ years bike isn't unsafe, as long as you change a few thinks for the good. These things are putting greenline or platinum ferodo break-liner into your drums, use BT45 tires (very good tires, still unbeaten by many manufactures, add some modern shocks at the rear (Hagon / Ohlins / Koni's) and upgrade the front suspension with new springs (Whitepower / Wilbers). I bet that a bike with these upgrades, and well maintained, is a much safer and better bike then any Chinese Taiwan bike or a not good maintained modern bike.

The frames aren't that bad either, especially when you upgrade the things mentioned above, although it will stay the weakest part in the set-up.

btw, good adjusted and maintained drum brakes are not that bad, just different. The amount of power is much lower then a modern bike, speed also. The weight of a modern bike is in many cases almost the same as an old bike.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The age of a vehicle is not a concern, it's the maintenance and condition that determines if it is mechanically safe. I've made it almost 60 years, most without ABS or radial tires and I've never hit anything while using drum brakes to stop. That is what knowing the capabilities of a machine is about. I've never flown a plane that was under 40 years old and I've never flown an unsafe plane.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
The age of a vehicle is not a concern, it's the maintenance and condition that determines if it is mechanically safe. I've made it almost 60 years, most without ABS or radial tires and I've never hit anything while using drum brakes to stop. That is what knowing the capabilities of a machine is about. I've never flown a plane that was under 40 years old and I've never flown an unsafe plane.
Same here, N3429T

Reactions: Brent
1 - 20 of 24 Posts