Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this.....

I read that citrus based engine degreaser was good for use cleaning my cylinder head, to get out the nastiness without actually pulling the motor. I pulled the tank when I did it, and was meticulously careful about the job. I think it came out alright for a first shot at it.

I've since started up and ridden the bike twice, for very short jaunts (a total of five miles or so), and in both cases, the engine has had steam or smoke coming off of it, and it didn't before. Not a lot, mind you. When I was out riding, I didn't notice it at all, but I noticed it in the garage with the bright sun shining behind it.

Is this something that is eventually going to go away once it burns off? Should I be using something else to clean the engine? Is this not a symptom of the citrus based degreaser at all and there is something seriously wrong with the motor (timing causing it to overheat or something)? I didn't think either ride would have given enough time for the engine to overheat.

NOTE: Incidentally, the bike, at least at the moment, seems to be running great (discounting the smoke that I feel like is from the degreaser).

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Could it be that you didn't get the degreaser thoroughly rinsed off the engine? You might try a second cleaning with a VERY THOROUGH rinsing just to see if that cures the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts