Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings,

im new to bikes (and this website!) , but i knew what i wanted when i finally saved up the hard earned minimum wage to have a bike built for me. at first i wanted to start from scratch, in my garage , on my own , with no experience. but i just wanted to ride now and learn later and found the right guy for the job.

his name is yezin taha out of san francisco and i found him on a forum similar to this one. long story short : the bike is almost done. he's been updating me with photos and i thought i'd share them.

we started with a 1972 HONDA CB350 in not-running-at-all condition (actually found rotting in a barn, poor thing)i've been studying up on my clymer manual and reading a lot about the in's and out's of how it all works. i cant wait to feel comfortable enough to work on it my self. thats what its all about, right!?!

i hope everyone digs the pics! i'll keep you updated , as we are still waiting on multiple parts.

its good to be a part of something so awesome!

(i also just realized you can only add so many pics per post, so they may be out of order, but you'll get the idea.)

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you guys weld the frame? I noticed a huge diffrence when we tig welded all the seams on mine, plus i came across some really sweet progressive shocks with valve dampening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we didn't weld the frame. what purpose does it serve? do you recommend it? im a rookie when it comes to building bikes, but slowly learning , so you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
The standard frame has a pressed steel spine with the two halves spot welded together along the seams. If these that have shifted over the year will give your frame a place to flex and twist. Welding a frame up is in aid of frame rigidity. The downside being every so often taking the panels off and checking for cracks along the welds and heat affected areas next to the welds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks znabb!

@ mullet: the friend building the bike said that it definitely strengthens the structural integrity of the bike, but considering im a beginner just flyin' around town, didn't think it was necessary. he told me to consider it when it was time to race! :!:

i also got an update today. my fork tubes finally arrived from "franks maintenance and engineering" (i guess frank is the only guy out there that can build strong reliable fork tubes for old bikes??) and my mufflers showed up yesterday.

heres the work list from yezin taha (builder) expected in the next couple of weeks:

1) cut adapter pipes for exhaust, drill holes in exhaust mounting brackets, and mount exhaust
2) Finish wiring
3) Rebuild forks
4) Start and tune engine
5) Install fuel valve and tubing
6) Install controls
7) Possibly replace wheel bearings if they are bad

its gettin down to the last couple of stages! im gonna burst!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh yeah, just a little thing, but i was looking into seeing if it was possible to swap out the "260" emblem on the mojave tank with some old honda emblems. does anyone know if they're the same dimensions?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The bike is turning out quite nice. I can't wait to see the finished forks.

I toyed with the idea of getting one of those Benelli tanks, but they don't match the lines of my bike. It looks great on yours.

I'm impressed at your ability to save, also. Minimum wage has gone up, but it must have taken some time.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
It would be helpful to know the diameter of the 260 emblem....... ;)

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Well, YOU have a "260" emblem you can measure...(I don't)....Hard to compare to Honda emblems if you don't tell me the size.......Honda emblems came in a variety of sizes.. at least 4 different diameters I can think of offhand..(most models had either 60mm or 71mm plaques, but mount holes vary in spacing between holes)...We need to know what size you need so we can determine which Honda bike/model similarly sized ones came on.....Then you can try to find some of those.....Expect to pay from $40 to $250 a pair depending on replica or originals......

"hence my question, good sir.".... Sir?... I MUST be getting too old!...LMAO!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i meant no offense, promise.

the bike is currently being built in san francisco and im in austin, texas. BUT i've been waiting on replies about sizes from ebay sellers auctioning the "260" emblems with no luck. i thought one of you folks might have one is all.

i think with a bit of googling, i'll find one somewhere.

i did happen to run across another mojave tank with a honda emblem on the internet awhile ago, but i cant seem find the pic anymore. so i know its possible.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
No offense taken...(just funnin right back at ya)...I'd wager it's the 71mm size, but am NOT certain.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts