Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

FNG here.

A co-worker surprised me with an opportunity to help him "clean out" his garage. Specifically, help him out by buying his bike off of him. It's a '71 CB450. It's just been sitting in his garage for years, and he fires it up "every couple of years or so" to keep the pistons from sealing . He also keeps air in the tires. He said the battery is dead, and there's a few loose strands on the passenger strap. He also said there's "a crease in the gas tank." I figure a new tank can't be that expensive.

I spoke to a riding buddy tonight, and he thinks I should go for it. I'm going to take him with me when I go out to take a look at it.

He wants $1000.

You guys know a lot more about these bikes than I do. I grew up on XR's, and more recently have graduated to a Concours14 via 18 months on a KLR.

I don't have a problem with an old CB per se, but I may just keep this bike long enough to fix it up, and try and make a profit on it when the riding season picks up again. Then again, I might have too much fun with this bike, and keep it as a run around.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Angus McGee said:
Hi, all.

FNG here.

A co-worker surprised me with an opportunity to help him "clean out" his garage. Specifically, help him out by buying his bike off of him. It's just been sitting in his garage for years, and he fires it up "every couple of years or so" to keep the pistons from sealing . He also keeps air in the tires. He said the battery is dead, and there's a few loose strands on the passenger strap. He also said there's "a crease in the gas tank." I figure a new tank can't be that expensive.

I spoke to a riding buddy tonight, and he thinks I should go for it. I'm going to take him with me when I go out to take a look at it.

He wants $1000.

You guys know a lot more about these bikes than I do. I grew up on XR's, and more recently have graduated to a Concours14 via 18 months on a KLR.

I don't have a problem with an old CB per se, but I may just keep this bike long enough to fix it up, and try and make a profit on it when the riding season picks up again. Then again, I might have too much fun with this bike, and keep it as a run around.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Photo :?: model :?: year :?: originality :?: all help with the decision to buy or not to buy :)

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
otr002 said:
Photo :?: model :?: year :?: originality :?: all help with the decision to buy or not to buy :)

Rod from OZ :cool:
Yeah, sorry about that. I editted my post. It's a '71 CB450. I haven't seen it yet, so there's no photos.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Welcome!... First, I am a major cheapskate... As you haven't specified what year or model bike, My comments will be generalized...... Titled and running but needs some work $2/cc MAX... titled, not currently running but kicks through and likely to run $1 to $1.25/cc..(maybe $1.50 per if I really want the bike).. Titled, engine stuck but pretty bike, $.75/1.00/cc...NOT titled, regardless of condition $25 for the bike..... ( not a great loss if you can't obtain a title, but verify VIN with local police through NCIC as not stolen).. Don't invest any more $ untill the bike is titled in your name..........
As I read your discription, MY max offer would be about $650 If the title is clear... I'd probably start at around $500/550.......(assuming a CB/CL 450 of some sort)
Warning!...Even at that price, If you are buying this to build for a profit, you will be sorely disappointed unless it is a particularly rare variant......JMHO... Steve

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the invite. When I go and take a look at it, I'll take some pictures, and post them here to see what you guys think. The guy assures me it runs, but it will defnitely need all the fluids, etc. replaced.

I'm not sure how rare the bike is, and I'm not sure how flexible he is on the price.

Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went out and looked at the bike, and decided I wanted it on the spot.

forgive the image quality.. It was from my iPhone.

I'll be taking off the fairing, and the sissy bar. If anyone wants them, let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Where are you located......might want to put that on your profile.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
1k seems steep, it will be hard to make money on that if you flip it.

buy 'em for 300 , invest less than 200, sell for 1000 is my motto.

Looks clean though

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This bike needs a battery. Do you guys have a link to where I can pick one up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wal-Mart or any decent auto parts store stock the most common bike batteries. 30 bucks+8 core deposit. Pretty color....

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The original 12N-12A-4A-1 battery is now called 12AA.........

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found a battery.. It should be here this week. Also, I"m picking up my bike tomorrow night. (Hopefully)

Now, I'm looking for tires.

Does anyone have any links to any good sites?

Also, if someone could post the standard tire size for the '71 CB450K4?

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, man.. I did Google, but I must have not done a proper search.

:oops:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Google is our friend.. :D ;)

http://www.cb450stuff.com/tires/

GB :mrgreen:
Wow, that's a pretty cool site but it hasn't been updated since '06. Did you see the '66 450D for $6700? It validates that if you're getting into the restoration business to make some extra money you should probably think again. :)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Just trying to help. :D I didn't know off the top of my head so I typed in "CB450 tire size" and that's what I got..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found out that the seller is giving me the panniers he had on the bike. They are 1940's era!!

YAHOO!!! eBay anyone??

With a fugly fairing, a huge sissy bar on the back, and 1940's era panniers, that bike must have been a sight.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I picked up the bike tonight. Rear swing arm bushings are in good shape, the rubber around the engine is in good shape. There's a little rust in the tank, but that can be fixed. The fairing is in excellent shape.

I'm very excited to get started working on this baby.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts