Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
72 CB350K4
Am I going to have to split the cases and see how bad this is? If so, how much trouble is it going to be? I know I have to go down a little more to pull the cam guide and tensioner (what’s left of them) and the is there anything I should do as far as taking this to a machine shop for the pistons, valves or rockers while it’s down? Besides the normal, take pics and stay organized........any tips? I’m quite terrified. This is where all the metal in the filter was coming from I believe. I have my clymer and it’s not as thorough as I would have thought. I’m too far down the hole ($$ time and blood) to part this out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
IF it were mine I would take it all the way down to clean out the oil pan and check the lower end. you can take the crank and rods , and tranny parts out in sets with out taking them apart and if noting nothing wrong you can set them in the same way they cam out. Clean the cases change out the seals buy some Honda bond to reseal the case. Download a full service manual and as one member said use the Clymer for a door stop. Read the manual before going any farther. The lower end is not to bad to work on on a 350. Any questions just ask plenty of help on this site. You will need a special socket to remove the lock nut on oil filter. I made mine but maybe another member can help you out. Looks like someone used a chisel to remove that one in the past. I admit to doing that in the past but dont suggest you do it.

Good luck.

Bill

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
PM sent regarding service manual.

That much metal could indicate serious damage. Getting it all torn down and inspected will give you a better idea on how to proceed.

You'll want to take the cylinders and pistons to a machine shop to be evaluated. They can tell you whether you need new rings and honed cylinders or new pistons and bored out cylinders.

The head may be fine as it is, you may just need to lap the valves, or a machine shop may need to re-cut the seats and install new valves. Again, they can tell you.

Depending on your location someone may be able to suggest a good machine shop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is “tools 1”? I can’t any machine shops around. I have the oil filter and clutch removed. The manuals don’t saying anything about the Kickstarter spring needing to be removed on the “gear lever” that’s in the right hand crank case. See picture below for where I am currently. Does anything else need to be removed in this picture before I split the cases? The left case all I think I have to do is remove the chain {see picture two} (sorry I don’t have the technical words in front of me) before I can split the case. Does all of this have to be removed before or am I cleared to split?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
RELAX... go to YouTube.. check out "Common Motor Collective" .. there are a few videos of tearing the bottom end down. Watch them, then watch them again WITH the downloaded manual ...
This way when you do split the cases, you will have some familiarity of what is presented to you..
It's not Rocket Surgery by any means, keep track of your parts.. take lots of pics.. keep a orderly work area and as clean as possible. Mind your torque specs and orders.. and you will have that thing torn down, cleaned and reassembled before you know it. Just remember, take your time... DONT RUSH!!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Tools is a forum member.

You need to remove the clutch basket, oil pump and some other junk behind the basket. The manual should have it all listed

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
It seems you don't have a Manual .
"Common Motor Collective" has a page of manulas and you can download the 350 Factory ervice Manula from there.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
RELAX... go to YouTube.. check out "Common Motor Collective" .. there are a few videos of tearing the bottom end down. Watch them, then watch them again WITH the downloaded manual ...
Rob is right... but close your eyes when they take a chisel to removing cam bearing caps on the cylinder head or to split the cases. If the engine doesn't come apart without the use of a chisel, you're doing it the wrong way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts