Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm flabbergasted. I have searched the interwebs from mountain to sea in search of a nice pair of 60-40 or 80-20 (onroad vs offroad) use tires to go with my semi-scrambler project. At this point I have basically found the Bridgestone TW40 and the Duro HF904 (basically the same tire) for the rear and only Shinko 244 is available in an aggressive tread on the front - and it's, well, it's also used on dirt bikes. So, I may be just venting here, but a nice combo tire for the 16"x18" combo of old hondas would be really, really nice to find. I'd probably pay a lot, too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hell, I'd be happy to find the same for the 18-18 combo on my 360. Never could be happy with two different brands or tread patterns on the same bike. Too OCD...

Reactions: Gobo

·
Registered
475 Posts
I feel your pain I have a 1979 cm400 with the 16 18 combo with the old scrambler tires front and rear can.t find them.

Reactions: Gobo

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Old man Firestone lives in my town. If I could only put a bug in his ear :) One question I have, though, is how much tread do I need to be okay on light sand and gravel, only for partial periods. I'm not talking about major trail riding, but just perhaps some areas where pavement washed out, or some gravel for a little bit. It seems to me that the vintage tires, even though they were called "Grand Touring" etc., actually have a good amount of tread. Newer street tires do not.

For instance, this old school tire looks like it'd be fine for maybe 10-20% offroad stuff. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GZMMX2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3MY1DJU4JTF2K&colid=QDLRICSCMHMF

In fact, though this isn't the brand on my bike now, this is the exact match for what's on my bike. http://4into1.com/irc-gs-11-tire-set-honda-cb350-360-400f-cj-cl360/

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone know if a 3.0x18 will fit okay on the front of the cm450c? That's what the IRC front tire is. The measurements come out okay. I was looking for 3.5x18 but that's not available. I just want it to be able to fit snugly on those rims.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In the same boat, just starting a scrambler build and looking for an aggressive off-road tire for the 16/18 spoked rims. So am I wasting my time looking beyond the Bridgestone Trailwings? They will do but not exactly what I was looking for...

'83CM450e

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the same boat, just starting a scrambler build and looking for an aggressive off-road tire for the 16/18 spoked rims. So am I wasting my time looking beyond the Bridgestone Trailwings? They will do but not exactly what I was looking for...

'83CM450e
Did you find a Trailwing that will fit the 3.5/18 front? The only one I could find that kind of matches is the Shinko 244.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Some times desperate times require desperate measures. Tire Automotive tire Spoke Tread Wheel
tire grooving;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not my work, But you can buy the tool on line for about $80 bucks. Or find a guy who races sprint cars to help you out, most of them cut their tires. Tool accessory Auto part Electronic device Cable Electronics accessory

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.