Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a non running 79 cm185t. Guy said it needed a battery for sure, he evidently charged it with 12v says the battery store, it was all swelled up. New battery, oil, plugs, gas, cleaned carb, runs like new, UNTIL the battery dies. As soon as it starts it's slowly dropping below 6v. I checked the ohms on stator wires. 1.5,1.5,1.0. I checked the diodes in the rectifier, one was significantly lower or higher, like 150 off. I have no AC coming from Yellow wires from stator. Any tips? Thanks ,Matt

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
956 Posts
6 volt ?? don't know this model well.......

Resistance for yellow wires sounds high, 250 and 400 12v superdream types well much lower like 0.4 ohms between phases and no continuity/infinity to earth. There may well be a manual on here for you.

When engine running on fully charged battery and voltmeter placed across the battery terminals, I guess does not rise with revs to reg at about 14.7 volts dc ? meaning no charging to battery.

6 v reg would be 7 to 8 volts approx.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6 volt ?? don't know this model well.......

Resistance for yellow wires sounds high, 250 and 400 12v superdream types well much lower like 0.4 ohms between phases and no continuity/infinity to earth. There may well be a manual on here for you.

When engine running on fully charged battery and voltmeter placed across the battery terminals, I guess does not rise with revs to reg at about 14.7 volts dc ? meaning no charging to battery.

6 v reg would be 7 to 8 volts approx.......
When I mentioned 250/400 those were readings concerning the diodes in the rectifier.I had the multimeter on diode mode for that and I'm unfamiliar with the values. To check the the stator I switched the multimeter to measure resistance and got 1.5ohm, 1.5ohm, and 1.0ohm. I have checked the battery voltage while running and it may start at 6v but it continuously drops(slowly). It is never over 6v, it's just not charging at all. The stator put out zero voltage AC. I have a manual ordered.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.