Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm having a bit of an issue with my 500T ignition. First the background - this bike has been starting up almost immediately for a year and a half now. I was polishing it up to take it to a show, had the seat and tank off and got caught in a storm. I ran inside and grabbed a tarp and covered the bike. unfortunately the tarp blew off in the wind and it got a good soaking with nothing over the bike. I finished polishing it up the next evening and moved it into the garage. I tried to start it and it really didn't want to start. Thinking it might have water in the tank/carbs, I drained the tank and carbs and put in fresh gas. Charged the battery and tried again. After trying for a while, it started and I rode it about 10-12 blocks and brought it back to the house. Now, it won't start at all and I get no spark.

Here's what I've done now - removed the tank, checked the battery - 12.7v, voltage at coil 11-11.5v. Pulled the coils/condenser, tested the condensers, both start with high resistance and taper down. as expected. I need to test the coils again as I didn't write down the results, but they looked good without the caps. I cleaned all the connectors I could get at. Assembled everything back up and...nothing.

I'm ready for advice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I opened them up last night to check, but I really couldn't tell in the bad lighting. The gasket looked good and it took an impact gun to get the screws out. :eek: There was no apparent water inside the cover, but I'm going to clean the connections tonight just in case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts