Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just fixed my ignition and my carbs, ran my bike down the road, she stopped running after I slowed down, I was in third gear at that time. After she quit I pushed her to my garage and tested for spark, and there was none. The battery has juice. I used a tester and checked the ignition switch and the points and those lit up. What could be wrong?
Thanks,

Matthew

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
How did you test for spark? (plug pulled out of cylinder and grounded to head?)
If you have power to the points, but no spark, it is possible the points vibrated loose and are NOT closing....Spark occurs as they open AFTER they have been closed...
Does the test light attched to the points go out as you kick it through?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it appears that the cam is not rotating all the time, just part of the time. But the center part on which is swivels is rotating. why might this be?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and it appears that is that way because the center bolt was snapped by someone!

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
So.... you advance unit's points cam is not being held onto the flyweights,and its rotation is therefore independant of the central camshaft......(and often totally "out of time")..... If you can extract the sheared bolt, replace it, (assuming no permanent damage to the points cam) and retime the ignition (points) you should be fine.....IF not, you'll need to replace the main camshaft....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts