Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I have a 1978 cm185t (Honda Twinstar)
It used to run great 5 years ago when I got it. It would start with kick or electric start. Then it started to fail when idling so I would have to rev the engine to keep it running at stops. I stopped riding it last summer deciding I would replace the carb and clean the oil screen when I got around to it. This spring I did those things as well as replacing the contact breaker which looked damaged, and I tested the ac generator too. I also bought new plugs. Now it hasn't started for me even at a rolling start.

Looking at the spark plugs I see they don't have any spark when I electric start it. I used a gap tool to gap them properly. The manual said this could mean a broken ignition coil or condenser. I tested the condenser and it failed, so i just put a new condenser in. Testing the coil, primary wires showed continuity, but the secondary wires failed. So i ordered a used ignition coil and again the secondary wires failed for continuity. So i ordered a new universal 6v ignition coil and even these secondary wires failed.

My question is, what is going on with these secondary wires? Am I misunderstanding how to test their continuity?

And if anyone has advice on why I am not seeing spark, that would be appreciated. I have only been working on the bike for about two months, so my knowledge of bike repair is very small.

Thanks, Nate

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
With the key switch switch on and the points open is there battery voltage showing at the points?

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Nate,
Your 185's coil is actually more of a transformer than a coil persay.....
There IS NO direct battery connection to the secondary, and you check secondary continuity from plug wire to plug wire.....
In order for the secondary circuit to complete, and the plugs fire, BOTH plugs must "ground" to a connection that is common to them, (It can be, but does NOT have to be Battery ground)...

Feel free to phone......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nate,
Your 185's coil is actually more of a transformer than a coil persay.....
There IS NO direct battery connection to the secondary, and you check secondary continuity from plug wire to plug wire.....
In order for the secondary circuit to complete, and the plugs fire, BOTH plugs must "ground" to a connection that is common to them, (It can be, but does NOT have to be Battery ground)...

Feel free to phone......
I am not sure what you mean by both plugs having to "ground"

My manual shows the pic I am attaching...

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
"Kill" switch set to "Run"?...... points open? (business card or even slip of paper between contacts)

PLEASE PHONE.... 540-525-5199

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Kill" switch set to "Run"?...... points open? (business card or even slip of paper between contacts)

PLEASE PHONE.... 540-525-5199
I am not sure what you mean by points open. I have been busy and hope to call you this evening or tomorrow afternoon and make some headway. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And like magic, Me olde Twinstar, "Wanda II" is back to life and inspected. 66Sprint is a mythical magician, a master Cycleops one might say. Turns out my secondary wires were good, I needed to adjust my gap and charge a new battery properly. I also had to replace my left rear blinker socket and change a front tire to pass inspection. 66Sprint I am very greatful for your patient and encouraging guidance, even after I blindly overfilled the bike with oil and grabbed the hot tailpipe and roasted my fingers. If you are ever in Upstate NY I owe you a couple shots of espresso. Muchly appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts