Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so the last time I posted here I was facing an engine rebuild for the first time, the good news is that I finished! I’ve been in the process of getting my cl350 started and was making a lot of progress. The bike was starting up on the first kick and revving. I noticed however, the left pipe was getting really hot and the right was still touchable. Upon further investigation, I found that I wasn’t getting a spark fro. The right side.
I switched the plug to the left lead and it is producing a spark.
It’s important to note that there was a day that I boneheaded it and left the keys in the ignition for quite a while, and drained the entire battery. After changing the battery, I have gotten to where I’m at now. I know the coils are prone to going bad if the ignition is left on for an extended period, let alone the entire life of a battery. Is there a way to test a coil? Could it be a condenser? The points plate generates a little bit of a spark occasionally, so I know I have current going that far at least. Should I plan to order a new set of coils??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Turn it over to where that set of points is open and, with a screwdriver, short the wire connection to ground. If it sparks then you need to clean the points.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you know that you are timed correctly, switch the coil wires from the right side to the left. If the issue follows the coil and not the side, you have your answer.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turn it over to where that set of points is open and, with a screwdriver, short the wire connection to ground. If it sparks then you need to clean the points.
So I tried it, and the left side fires and the right side is still not firing, thanks for the tip though!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SOLVED: so I was inspecting the right side coil after draining the tank and removing it, I checked where the lead actually enters the coil, pulled it out and it appeared a little fried, I trimmed about half an inch off and stuck it back in and lo and behold we have spark! Now I just have to wait for a reasonable time in the morning to hopefully fire her up a little. The old lady next door does not enjoy my hobby as much as I do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts