Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone keeps telling me that I might not be getting spark because my kill switch is corroted. I didnt want to take my kill switch apart so all I did was open it and check the condition of the componets. They looked fairly clean but that still didn't prove anything just made me want to take it appart even less. I put everything back together and walked away. After checking my wiring diagram I noticed that the black/white cable that the ignition ciols get power from goes dirrectly to the kill switch and then to a regular black cable (power cable).
This was my test please let me know if this is valid.
I unplugged my coils from the black/white cable. Unplugged the regular black cable that powers my horn and signal relay and plugged my horn into the black/white cable for the coils. In the "Off" position at my kill switch my horn would not work when pressed. In the "Run" position it would sound nice and loud. Making me belive that my kill switch is good.
Do you guys think that was a valid test? I also plan to test my coils directly to the black cable that powers the horn and signal relay to see if I get spark.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Yes, your test of your kill switch was good.

The wording was slightly backwards though. The power doesn't go from the coils to the kill switch to the black lead. The power goes from the black lead to the kill switch to the coils. It then flows THROUGH the coils to the points and thru the closed points to ground. When the points open, that opening action interrupts that flowing power. The interruption in flow sparks the plug.

So, you must confirm that the points are indeed closing (allowing the flow of electricity, not just physically closing) and also that the points are indeed opening.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the confirmation.
Sorry about the confusion I wasn't talking about the actual power I was talking just about the cables.
The black/white cable goes from kill to coils either way. I was aware that the power came from the 12v. black cable to the kill switch. My point and timming are dead on. My conderser has been replaced so it all points out to my coils.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but are you sure the points are conducting when closed? In my experience, that's the very first thing that fails - the points get the slightest layer of corrosion and they LOOK to be absolutely touching, but no current flows.

Unplug the point wire and confirm with cheap multi-meter that they conduct when closed and don't conduct when open.

Another way to test for coils it to hook up the hot lead as you're planning, then bypass the points & condenser altogether by running a jumper from the coil wire (that normally would go to the points) and connect it to good ground. Then, "swipe" that hot lead connection. That is, hold each lead like they were automotive jumper cables and you were snapping them together to make 'em spark. Watch the spark plug as you do this. The snapping of the power wire can simulate the opening of the points and you can see the plug spark.

This will confirm two things: coils are good and points aren't (if that's the case).

You will want to have a very healthy battery during all this. Perhaps even having a battery charger hooked up while you're doing these experiments.

Good luck with it all.

Kirk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my spark back!!!!
It was my points. They were closing just fine but a simple continuity test revealed that one of them wasnt actually conducting. I had bought a new set of points and a condenser but I had not installed them untill you made me realize it could still be my points. I installed my new points, my new condenser, gaped my points accordingly and set my timing. She produced a real nice spark. Thanks Kirk.
By the way not only did she produce a spark she actually turned on for the first time in the last two years.

Check my pictures under Lil Menace cl350 if you want to see what she looks like.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Fantastic! Glad to hear it. Very satisfying to see that nice spark. It always makes me feel that it's downhill from there!

Kirk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts