Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am in the process of rebuilding a 1970 Honda CB350 Super Sport. I just got a new wiring harness and installed it. I went to startup the bike and it turned over but didn’t run (it started up with old harness). I checked the plugs and there is no spark (new plugs) and check the boot and cable itself for spark. There is 12V of power running to the points, but nothing running to the plugs.

I am probably just missing something very simple but have no idea what the issue could. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
First thought is the kill switch, but if you have the original or proper right hand control switch on the handlebars then it wouldn't have one, the early 350s didn't. You'll just need to check your wiring to the coils, points and condensers again. The points won't show a test light when closed, they're powering the coils until they open (and the bulb comes on) and the coils discharge

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I have the original controls so no kill switch. I just tested my coils and got the proper reading for the primary, pigtail to pigtail, but got no current for the secondary, pigtail to spark plug. As a result I thought for sure the coils were the issue, however, I read a couple places online that no reading on the secondary doesn't necessarily mean a bad coil. Any ideas on this?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Just in case you don't know, there won't be current at the plugs when the coils are powered, the spark only happens when the points break and the coil discharges - and then only for the instant the plug fires. Were you testing with an ohmmeter? Does the test light bulb come on when the points break (key on)?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I vote with ancientdad check your wiring to the points. If you have power to the points then check the connection at the points you might have the insulators on wrong or the connector touching the points plate. Iv done both.Just thinking out loud.

Bill

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
If you care to phone, I'll run through testing the ignition system (coils, points, wires caps, etc) with you as you do it....... 540-525-5199.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts